Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrivelled up little bundles of WOW

I'm on a thread roll this week.

Anyway, yesterday I was at home all day and had an early start, and decided to slow roast some red and yellow tomatoes. The aim being to get them as small as possible, and to chop them and preserve in olive oil [we eat tons of red pesto].

So, they spent all day in a 95c degree oven, and about 1/3 of them were small enough to chop - so the rest need more time.

I was making noodles today so I took a few of the smallest ones and popped into my noodle mix.

All I can say is - if you have any tomatoes going spare - the taste is AMAZING.

Better than any sun dried I have EVER bought - so I'm going to be making as many of these as I can.

Sounds lovely Zazen, I'm busy trying mine to go red at all, eaten 3 so far others on the window sill still hoping and fearing green chutney
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I've still got 4 jars of green tom chutney from last year - unripe toms are going on the compost!

Love sundried toms so thanks for the tip Zazen

Comment

I'm on my very very last jar from last year's harvest BOO HOO! I'm inconsolable actually. I don't dry mine till they're 'dead', but 'sunblushed' (more moist) and of course when the jar is empty of WOW! - you've got that gorgeous tomatoey oil to use too!

Comment

Originally posted by rogesse View Post
          I've still got 4 jars of green tom chutney from last year - unripe toms are going on the compost!

Love sundried toms so thanks for the tip Zazen
          Why bin them Rogesse ? Fried or roast green tomatoes are lovely - well I think so.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I ended up freezing them, but what stunning taste they bring to any dish...WOW

Comment

We've found that a lot of fruits we have dried have an intense flavour.

Malling Opal strawbs have a taste to kill for and as for Kiwi, well!
              I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Got another oven full of these today.....just thought I'd bump....

Comment

.... you must have read my mind! I've only yesterday pulled out the slow-roasting ripe tommies from the bottom oven of the Rayburn (been there all night - not me, you understand?!), and just blitzed them with a hand-wand-zapper for instant Roasted Tomato Passata. I used to 'oven sunblush' them, but Trousers said they weren't to his liking (ooh, get HIM when he's at home!) and I can only eat SO many on my own.

I didn't add any fresh herbs nor nuffink, because I'm preserving my fresh herbs separately for other reasons.

Comment

I think we're going to have many little tomatoes to use up soon, so have flagged this up...
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Am thinking of trying some in the dehydrator this weekend. Not used it for them before so will have to see how it goes.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X