HELP!! Jalepeno glut!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Jalepeno glut!!

Help!! Have Jalepeno glut and really do not know what to do with them apart from pickling!!!
    ps any ideas once pickled how long you can keep??
    Any idea's much apprieciated!!

What about stuffing them with Fetta cheese, egg and flour covering, fresh breadcrumbs and freezing them. Cook from frozen by deep frying.

Sliced Jalapenos & sliced onion mix, battered and frozen again for deep frying from frozen, I think they are called Devil's Toothpicks.
    I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

oh that sounds lovely thanks xx

Comment

You're just showing off.
        String them together (just sew with needle & thread) and hang up somewhere dry to, er ... dry.

then post me some of the seeds
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

No worries two sheds lol
          once dried though what on earth do i do with them as they arn't like the other chillies that you can use for recipes????

Comment

Hi Maximepaul!

Do you like hot pepper sauce? About the most easy way I know of making a pepper sauce is in a blender! Just put everything in together along with a little water, just enough to let it blend down so add a little at a time!

Depending how much sauce you want to make! use 1/4 to 1/2 of each, Red, Green and Yellow bell peppers or whatever ones you have!

Then add as many of your Fresh chillies as you want, depending how hot you want the sauce, seeds as well if you like! (I am a bit of a chillie head so will tend to use at least 6-8 whole scotch bonnet or type chillies with this amount of bell pepper.)

Also add a few different types of herbs, fresh if you have or dried, does not make much difference, just remember to use only a 1/2 teaspoon of each if herbs are dried. Blend all together until smooth.

*The following bit is ok if you have a tough glass blender!! If not glass then see alternative method! at end!*

While chopping and blending the above items heat a small amount of olive oil or other cooking oil, say about a tablespoon or a tad more in a small saucepan until smoking hot! Bit of a haze going on lol, take care not to burn it though!

once oil is smoking and the peppers are blended *slowly and carefully pore the hot oil into blender on top of mixture, watch out as it will sizzle and spit a bit!* The oil helps to seal it and most of it will rise to the top of the jar or bottle once pored in there!

That is the basic sauce, it has a nice fresh taste! You can of corse add a little onion or garlic, a bit of fresh tomato, or sauce if you want it a bit sweeter! Pore it from blender into a sterilised jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid! Important, Only use a clean spoon to serve from jar with! keeps in the fridge for about 3-4 weeks, or you can put into small containers and freeze!

*If your blender is plastic then do not add hot oil into it!* You can cook off the pepper and chilli mixture in the saucepan with a little oil, simmer for a few mins if you like a thicker sauce, let it reduce slightly! store as above!

If you try it, I hope you enjoy it! you can add al sorts of things if you want but I like it simple! You can if you are brave use on the side of your plate as a dip or in cooking. Try adding a couple of teaspoons or more to add a kick to a stew, curry or chillie dish!

Have a happy week!
            xx Jan
            Last edited by Irie Jan; 17-09-2008, 02:31 PM.
            Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Irie Jan Thank you i Love any Spicy Sauces!! I will Try the recipe and let you know how i got on!! I have several variety's of Chillies im growing so will try a different sauce with each and see how different each taste is.
              oh and Stacey Steve i tried your recipe last night they were really good oh was really impresssed!! thank you xxx

Comment

No worries! Hope you enjoy! I got that recipe fron a Jamacian friend of mine, He now lives in Trinidad and has given me all sorts if ideas to try!

I have also come across some wicked chillie sacue recipies on the internet, not tried any as yet though. Just have a google! lol Some of them are more involved than others, but it will give you food for thought by having a look!

Have a great day
                xx Jan

One Love & Unity

Comment

Hi Jan
                  will google!!
                  Chillies are just fantasic our family are addicted!! im still waiting for my long Joes to go red though!!!

Comment

This is the first time I have ever tried to grow chillies! I have had some wax type chillies. I bought 2 tiny plants as a quick start from B&Q back. in august I think it was, they were in flower with some small chillies which have grown now but they have also taken ages to ripen, some have just started to go red now now! The plants appeared slow to grow but look as if have caught a second wind now! One of them has sprung new flowers. I think I will just leave in my greenhouse and see how they go!

I am looking foward to trying from seed for my next lot of chillies. I want to try some scotch bonnet type, perhaps chocolate habanero, Given our not too good summers we have though, I'm not so sure if they will come to much! I'm planing to start them off indoors early, perhaps January, then move them to the greenhouse (unheated by the way) by about April, What do you think? any advice for a chillihead Please

have a good day
                    xx Jan

One Love & Unity

Comment

[QUOTE=maximepaul;284352
                      once dried though what on earth do i do with them as they arn't like the other chillies that you can use for recipes[/QUOTE] What appears to be the difference? They are exactly the same as all other chillies, just a different shape and coloure. You can use them in any chilli recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by maximepaul View Post
                        Help!! Have Jalepeno glut and really do not know what to do with them apart from pickling!!!
                        ps any ideas once pickled how long you can keep??
                        Any idea's much apprieciated!!
                        no idea, i always dry mine, strung on cotton like onions, that why i have plenty of dry chillies to last me through till the next harvest
                        Vive Le Revolution!!!
                        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

ive always dried my other varieties of chillies just never grew jalepeno's before!!!
                          so ive picked one lot although looks like ive got another lot to use any day!! they seem to grow faster than the other chillis!!!

Ire Jan i had a packet of mixed seeds that i got free with a gardening mag (can't remember which one!!) i think it was about march and just put them in a heated propegator then was soon as big enough potted on then once more into big pots and just kept them in the green house they are all doing well just not going red!!!!
                          so maybe better of starting earlier on window sill in feb???
                          The year before i cheated and bought small plants from local farmers market 99p each!! apache & numex twighlight they went mad and i had red chillis coming out of my ears!!! so i dont know what the right answer is!!
                          Next year will do both i think and see what happens

Comment

Hi maximepaul

Thanks for the reply! Well it looks like I will just have to try my luck and see what comes up!

I also bought one other chilli plant from B&Q a little later on in August. It was a well established plant with many smallish green elongated lantern shaped chillies, that have ripened to a lovely golden orange they are firy hot, I'm still enjoying them,Yum Yum! I shall be saving some of these seeds to try for next year!!

I do wish that these DIY garden centers would give the name of these chilli plants, not just that they are wax type, or hot type! I have no idea what chillies I am growing but what ever they have done well in my greenhouse and I love them.
                            Last edited by Irie Jan; 24-09-2008, 10:44 AM.

One Love & Unity

Comment

they sound lovely iriejan!
                              My husband thinks i have a chilli problem!! i see different chilli plants and have to buy them!! although this year was disapointing on the plant buying side homebase and the farmers market didn't have any so will try b&q next yr!!
                              i have also ordered a mix of starter chilli plants from dobies that have scotch bonnets etc so will do an experiment and see what plants fruit best seed v shop bought!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X