Red Onion ideas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Onion ideas?

I have loads of huge lovely red onions that have all come ready at once....

What can I do with them? Does anyone have any recipes for red onion marmalade/chutney etc?

Can they be cooked and frozen?

Ooooh Nigellas onion mush is nice, will go and root out the recipe.....
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I make a 'chese and onion bread' which is better with red onions, and will freeze. It won't use up ALL your glut, but is probably worth including. You might try 'plaiting' the onions and hanging them somewhere cool and dry. They ought to keep for ages if they don't get too warm, or damp.

for 2 cheese-and-onion loaves (or one enormous one)

Bread dough made with 1lb flour
      8oz fairly strong cheddar cheese, grated
      2 large red onions, chopped (not too fine)
      Divide bread dough in half, roll out half to about 12" by 6" rectangle,
      Unsing a quarter of the cheese cover 2/3 of the dough.
      Cover the cheese with a quarter of the chopped onion
      Fold the 'naked' third of the dough over the middle, and then fold over the last third (the idea is to end up with a parcel 4" by 6", of bread/filling'bread/filling/bread).
      Roll out again to 12" by 6", making sure that the folds of the first time are now the long sides. Cover and fold as before.
      Roll out again, this time roll up like a swiss-roll. Place on baking sheet (needs plenty of room)
      Allow to rise (it will be slow after all that rolling, it needs to double in size) covered with a damp cloth. Make second loaf the same way.
      Bake at gas 6 for about 30-40 mins until golden and sounds hollow underneath.
      If preferred you can slice the rolled up loaf BEFORE RISING and bake in 'slices' as a savoury version of Danish Pastries (sorry, don't know the timing for that as I never do it that way). Either way it will freeze well for a month or so if properly wrapped.
      Last edited by Hilary B; 27-08-2008, 11:52 AM.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

here we are....
        1kg onions
        100ml marsala
        1 tbsp butter
        3tbsp olive oil

peel onions and slice thinly.
        Put a large heavy based frying pan on a low heat and melt butter and oil.
        Add onions press down with wooden spoon and sprinkle with some salt.
        Poor marsala into a measuring jug then add boiling water and make up to 175ml, poor over onions
        Cut some tin foil and press it down over onions, shiny side down to form a tight, low lid, then put on pans real lid.
        Cook very low for 2 hrs, checking after the first hour, it shouldn't be hot enough for any burning or sticking.
        When onion tastes completely cooked, take the lid and foil off and turn up the heat to let all the liquid bubble and burn off.
        that's it, yummy!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Try Delia's red onion tarts with goat's cheese - utterly yummy and uses loads of red onion. In fact I've just made up my mind to do that for lunch when my cuz visits tomorrow.

Caramelised Balsamic and Red Onion Tarts with Goats' Cheese from Delia Online
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

PW's Red Onion Marmalade on an earlier thread is stunning, Ive made 2 batches in the last couple of weeks, we can't get enough of it. It's also lovely with the suggested addition of sultanas and apple.
            Last edited by amandaandherveg; 27-08-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

They'll keep, if you dry them off. You don't need to use them all at once.
              Red onions are nice just sliced in a salad or stir fry.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

just treat them like any other onion and hang them in net bags or if your very clever tie them in johnny onion bunches and hang them in a dry palce (place that is ...rather than a palace)
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
                  PW's Red Onion Marmalade on an earlier thread is stunning, Ive made 2 batches in the last couple of weeks, we can't get enough of it. It's also lovely with the suggested addition of sultanas and apple.
                  I will also vouch for this red onion marmalade recipe - it is as Amanda says, stunning
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

red onion marmalade

I'm really struggling to find the recipe! Please, can you help me out.

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post

Comment

Here you go Kathy.....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lade_9067.html

Comment

I would go for red onion marmalade as well, as we finish one batch I make another

Comment

We made this recipe a few years ago when we had lots of long red florence, was very good.

Pickled Red Onion

Red onions have a secret talent: they turn a beautiful, bright shade of purplish pink when doused with hot water and then stay crunchy and delicious seemingly forever.

2 medium-sized red onions (about 1lb)
                          4 cups boiling water

Marinade
                          1/2 cup cider vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
                          1/2 cup water
                          3 tbsp honey or sugar
                          1/2 - 1 tsp salt
                          1 tsp peppercorns
                          1/2 tsp whole cloves (optional)

Peel the onions and slice them as thinly as you possibly can. Transfer them to a medium-sized bowl.

Pour the boiling water into the bowl, and let the onions soak in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a colander.

While the onions sit in the colander, combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the onions, and let them sit in the marinade for about 10 minutes.

Transfer the onions with all the liquid to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and chill until very cold.

(Yield about 3 1/2 cups. These keep for months if stored in a tightly-lidded jar in the refrigerator.)
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X