No announcement yet.

BEETROOT::best pickling method..please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, my husband always called my pickles dangerous and horrible whatever vinegar or cooking method I used until a friend said he put sugar in his jars with the vinegar, I tried it and bingo! now he loves my pickles and so do the rest of the family looks like I made myself a load of work doh...

Comment

so am i best to heat vinegar for pickling or not?? im confused reading this thread lol

Comment

maximepaul......I've no idea...but having read that lot, I'd toss a coin or do some hot and some cold- and let us know your thoughts later on in the year!!

I gave up pickling beetroot as I've realised I don't really like the vinegar flavour ( it's either that or I've used the wrong recipe)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          maximepaul......I've no idea...but having read that lot, I'd toss a coin or do some hot and some cold- and let us know your thoughts later on in the year!!

I gave up pickling beetroot as I've realised I don't really like the vinegar flavour ( it's either that or I've used the wrong recipe)
          I prefer the sweet vinegar and I've found this very easy recipe.

Auntie Heather's Awesome Picked Beetroot / Beets Recipe | Recipezaar

I'll be making some this weekend.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

oh will try it today!!! thanks xxx

Comment

We put our beetroot in the oven for 2hrs at 180 degrees. Each is individually wrapped in bacofoil and I wrap the tray too (easier to clean)

Once out of the oven, unwrap the beetroot, remove ends and skin and slice it. We always use Sarsons ready made pickling vinegar.

Comment

So, I did the pickling and tried some. It's probably a bit too sweet compared to shop bought beets, although it may improve as it matures. It's still very edible. I would have made more but I ran out of jars.
                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Went to pickle my beetroot and there wasnt enough to fill a jar so cooked and ate them instead!!!!

Comment

NOT A Pickled Beetroot Recipe IN SIGHT! from WELLIE....

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but sometimes, you have to 'think outside of the box', and come up with the unexpected.
                    Which is what I like to do.

So, if you're interested, here's how it goes:

Heat some olive oil in a pan and put in 500g washed and grated raw beetroot, 500g halved and thinly sliced red onions, 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds and half a teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg.

Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft, then add 100mls balsamic vinegar and 100g brown sugar, and simmer for at least 20 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft and the liquid has become thick and syrupy. Season with a large pinch of cayenne pepper and a little salt. Leave it all to cool.

I then pack it into small Le Parfait Kilner Jars and keep it in the fridge until I want to use it. It seems to last a good month or two without killing Trousers off - but don't quote me on that, obviously....
                    X

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                      Heat some olive oil in a pan and put in 500g washed and grated raw beetroot, 500g halved and thinly sliced red onions, 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds and half a teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg.

Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft, then add 100mls balsamic vinegar and 100g brown sugar, and simmer for at least 20 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft and the liquid has become thick and syrupy. Season with a large pinch of cayenne pepper and a little salt. Leave it all to cool.

I then pack it into small Le Parfait Kilner Jars and keep it in the fridge until I want to use it. It seems to last a good month or two without killing Trousers off - but don't quote me on that, obviously....
                      X
                      Oh Oh!!! Hang on ... I want to do this, but speak a bit slower... just a mo...

um... do you peel the raw beet first??

AND when you say small Le Parfiat kilner Jars, is that the 0.5l ones, OR the ickle cute jobies that I can't see to buy at Lakeland, and even when making a spech trip to John Lewis in Solihull?

Comment

Hazel, calm DOWN Dear!
                        I 'scrubbed' our beetroots and the manky outer skin seemed to disintegrate. But if the skin is mighty stubborn, peel it off thinly with a knife or swivel vegetable peeler, and THEN grate it.
                        And don't make a spesh trip to John Lewis - just use any small jar(s) you have with lids that won't react to vinegar.
                        X

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                          Hazel, calm DOWN Dear!
                          I 'scrubbed' our beetroots and the manky outer skin seemed to disintegrate. But if the skin is mighty stubborn, peel it off thinly with a knife or swivel vegetable peeler, and THEN grate it.
                          And don't make a spesh trip to John Lewis - just use any small jar(s) you have with lids that won't react to vinegar.
                          X
                          Darn! I had a fine excuse lined up there for shopping too - so tra la la la la - I can't hear you!

Trip to Lemington super cook shop & JL in Soluhull too planned next coupla' weeks, anyways!

Comment

That's my Girl!!!!
                            X

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X