No announcement yet.

Help - glass jars

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Waffler, Gourd, I made the chilli jam with my twilight chillis. I only have a small plant and although it looked like loads of chillis, when I weighed them I only had 1/4 of the amount needed in the recipe. Since I had red peppers ready at the same time I pressed ahead and made it anyway, using the recipe amount for everything else.

The end result - it set lovely and we love it!! Fabulous with ham or cheese - and I'm still picking home grown lettuce to go with it. Despite the reduced amount of chillis, it's still labelled HOT HOT HOT. I don't think I'd ever increase the amount of this particular chilli The only problem is that I was worried whether we'd like it enough and only made 2 small jars - and we've nearly used one already!

It would be interesting to know the type of chillis others have used as clearly I need to make more of this to satisfy Mr Biblio and myself
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
    Cicero

Comment

I must admit its very moreish I had some on my ham salad sarni then had more of a spoon and more......and more........!!!!

Comment

I also used mostly numex twilight (plus some green cayenne), and found them to be a little on the warm side!! I didn't use the full weight of chillis.
        Tonight we are having deep fried camembert with some redcurrant jelly and of course this is the ideal opportunity to try out the chilli jelly (other than when I kept tasting it whilst it cooked! - funny thing about that was enhaling just before trying and getting my lungs full of vinegar gas!) LOL

I still want to know how long it will keep please. Of course, given half a chance it probably wouldn't last long, but I really would like to give some jars to people for Christmas if it'll last that long: I envisage pretty little packs with jars of jams and chutneys and the like.

Comment

Oh my goodness! Camembert and chilli jam...I'm drooling

I've got my open jar in the fridge, but I imagine unopened it should keep a good few months with the sugar acting as a preservative. I'm no expert though and stand to be corrected. It isn't lasting very long round here thouhgh
          If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
          Cicero

Comment

It was delish! even if I do say so myself!
            OH said it was a bit hot though! It wasn't 'blow your socks off' hot, but it definitely had 'afterburn' and I thought it was 'just right' (well I would, wouldn't I!) and the sweetness compensated for this anyway.
            And the best bit was when I gingerly spooned it out of the jar, it held it's shape! I really wasn't sure it was set even as much as that, but it has, so I'm happy happy happy! Wished I'd made more now!

Comment

Kirsyb -
              Sorry- only just picked up this thread..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...hup_8882.shtml

This is the recipe I used for Hugh FW's ketchup
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X