X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Roast Chickens ... how long?

Help!
    I can cook a roast chicken, easy.
    Today I am cooking two, so I thought I just doubled the cooking time (that would make 3 and a half hours).

Am I right?
    Wrong?

I can't find any info on cooking more than one chicken on the Net or in my books.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

I would cook them for the same time as 1 chicken, Then check the juices are running clear, if not put back in for a bit longer.

But then I could be wrong 3.5 hours just seems to long to cook chicken.

Comment

Defo keep cooking timer to length you like your singles cooked - you may need a tad longer, perhaps half hour? - like coomber says check the juices run clear.

You could also aid cooking process if you open up the bird so the wings and legs are not trussed against the body. This will allow far more heat to circulate and ensure that legs etc are properly cooked without pink bits left behind!

For a long time now I've also cooked mine covered by plenty of herbs/spices and sometime tom pureé on a wrack with a bath of water below. Into this I usually rough slice a couple of large onions and 2-3 garlic cloves. During the cooking process you get a fab mixture of cooking juices and stewed onions with form the basis of a simply georgeous gravy. Just mash remaining oinion bits with a masher and make gravy up to your preferred recipe by deglassé-ing the pan - yum!.

Comment

The cooking time is about how long it takes the heat to reach the centre. Unless the 2 chickens are touching that will be the same as if you only cooked one (plus a very short time for the oven to 'catch up' with the cold contents). If the only way you can get them both in the oven at once is for them to be squeezed into one roasting try, you may need to add up to 50% to cooking time (depending how tightly they are squeezed in). Test from the 'inside' (ie where they touch) for juices with no pink.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
          I am doing them a French Roast (half a lemon in the cavity, bath of water under the birds)
          They lookin good. Half an hour to go

Comment

Blimey Two_Sheds, next thing you know you will be having a test taste
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Sounds yummy!!

I've recently realised that meat is best cooked ahead of time and served warm. Apparently it give the meat fibres time to relax- and is therefore more tender!

I'd probably have added an extra 45 mins and left to relax ( just a guess!!)...so do tell!!...what worked out well???
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Is that one chicken per shed then?
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I cooked them for 2 hours, rested them for half hour. So tender, the meat fell off the bone. Mr Sheds did the taste test. it's now plated up & waiting for the hungry guests tomorrow ...
                  (rain is forecast)

Comment

If you're cooking in the microwave then you need double the time for double the quantity. This rule doesn 't apply if using a conventional oven, specially a fan oven.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X