Wanted: Apple Crumble recipe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Apple Crumble recipe

We've got a cooking apple tree at the back of the garden, with some seriously huge apples on (they are very tart, so we've deduced they are cooking apples), and I've rescued them from the floor before they go rotten.

Does anyone have a recipe for apple crumble? I'm not a novice cook, so it can be as complicated as you like!

Thanks!!

You need to speak to my Daughter OWG, she make Crumble to die for, It's even better than mine and thats saying something (I'm know for my modesty by the way )

Crumble topping
    75g (3oz) butter (unsalted)
    50g (2oz) ground Almonds (or porridge oats or 50:50 mix)
    125g (40z) caster sugar
    150g (5oz) plain flower

put it all in a food processor & blitz till it looks like crumble !

I usually make double the quantity - thats how I maintain my figure

For the other bit, a lot depends on whether the apples cook to a fluff or retain their shape. I always think it's nice to have some lumps in it to chew on rather than baby food with a crumble topping. So assuming they keep their shape:-

5 or 6 large apples
    25g (1oz) butter
    50-65g (2 - 2.5oz) caster sugar

peel & core the apples & roughly chop. Melt the butter ina pan, ad the apples & cooke over a high heat till just soft (sort of Al dente if it were pasta) turning frequently. Add the sugar to taste & disolved.

then fill the baking dish with the filling, add the crumble mix to the top sprinkle with a bit more sugar & bake for 25-30 mins in a pre heated oven (180c -160c fan assisted - Gasmark 4) till golden brown serve with lashings of Birds custard (or this nancy cream muck if you must )

Also nice with Blackberriers added.

Also as winter draws on (I'll resist the obvious joke LJ ) how about backed apples with mince meat filling?
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I use the same crumble recipe, Nick, but use demerera instead of caster & I like my apples completely pulped - with a little butter stirred through - I too feel the need to maintain my curves!!!!
      How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Yum yum! that sounds super! can't wait to get cooking ! dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Apple muffins are also good:
          200g Self raising flour
          100g butter
          100g sugar
          2 eggs
          1 large apple

preheat oven to gas 5, 180 electric. Rub the butter into the flour, add the sugar and eggs. Chop the apple up into 1cm cubes and add (to peel or not to peel - its up to you). You may need to add about 2 tablespoons of milk to get a soft dropping consistency. Divide into twelve or more paper cases. I use cake ones and make about 18. Sprinkle a liitle demerera sugar mixed with a pinch of cinnamon on top. Bake for about 20 minutes till risen and brown. You can also adda handful of sultanas or other dried fruit.
          Strictly speaking these aren't real muffins but they taste pretty good. The recipe has been tested to destruction by whole classes of year 8's and they love it.
          You can make a large cake with the same mixture but I don't think its as good.

Comment

Hadn't thought along the cake line BK. The Chairman of the local rmblers club does a "bostin" (Local word for most excellent) Apple cake, I'll see if i've got the recipe for that.

How about Apple Dumplings as well ..... Ooooh must stop.....drooling over the keyboard
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Thanks guys! Am starving now I've read those! Will give them a try over the weekend!

Comment

I tried blackkitty's apple muffin recipe tonight - they are to die for!!

The only thing is, I'd forgotten what b@stards apples are to work with when cooking!!

Comment

I always mix in one teaspoon of cinamon and a pinch of nutmeg and also the juice of half a lemon into my apples and sometimes add finely chopped mixed nuts to my crumble mix.

Late on in the season you can add blackberries too.
                  Last edited by eskymo; 03-08-2006, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Like Eskymo - I always grind some fresh nutmeg into the apples.

Like the sound of the apple muffins - will have a go this weekend. How many hours of digging does one have to do to negate the calorie content?
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Glad you liked them

Comment

100g flour (wholemeal works well - but any sort is good)
                        100g Castor Sugar
                        50g butter
                        a bit of cinnamon to taste

put all of the above in a dish and rub in the butter until you get a crumbley texture

in a oven proof dish put
                        apples peeled, cored and chopped up
                        a hadfull of raisins or sultanas
                        cinnamon to taste

over in a good layer of sugar, a good splash of calvados/apple brandy or something like that

put the crumble mixture on top and pat down to firm the top

bake at 180C for about 30-40 min until the top is golden and the fruit bubbling

other good combinations are

rhubard and ginger wine
                        apple and blackberry
                        strawberry and mint

Comment

I'm green with envy and drooling with hunger! The most obvious question to me is :- How do I pursuade my two young (3 yrs old) apple trees that producing some fruit would be nice!? How old does a tree have to be before it starts to produce fruit - I have one or two fruit on one tree but none on the other. The pair of trees were a house warming present from my Dad (lovely!)
                          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

OWG
                            Where can I but the b@stard apples that you refer to ? - I haven't heard of this variety before - and think they would be perfect for my garden, as I already grow f@**in' peas, bl**dy beans, bollo@ beetroot and so@ding cabbages
                            Rat

British by birth
                            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I liked that one SR
                              ~
                              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X