Breadmaker jam

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadmaker jam

Do any of you have a breadmaker which makes jam? I have just a bog standard breadmaker (picked it up on freeshare) but have seen some more expensive ones which have a jam function, and I am tempted to buy one, (Mum has already asked for my old breadmaker) think I would use it a lot, and would be handy for making smaller amounts of jam
    http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

I have a jam function on my bread maker. I think I have used it once but will try it again soon as I have loads of alpine strawbs this year and want to have a go at strawberry jam.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

There's a couple of problems with making jam in bread makers. Firstly, it can be a right pain to clean them out as you can't immerse the pan fully in water and secondly, it's only suitable for small volumes. Personally I much prefer to do mine in my big jam pan on the hob.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We have a Kenwood breadmaker and have made a few lots of jam in it - it was very tasty, just like real jam! Easy to use up small amounts of 'cheap supermarket fruit' - the tin size makes about two jars a go. (The non-stick pan cleans easily.)
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 11-06-2008, 08:53 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          There's a couple of problems with making jam in bread makers. Firstly, it can be a right pain to clean them out as you can't immerse the pan fully in water and secondly, it's only suitable for small volumes. Personally I much prefer to do mine in my big jam pan on the hob.
          While you cannot immerse the pan in water, you can fill it with hot water and allow it to soak, that gets rid of most stuff in my experience. I will try the alpine strawb jam in the breadmaker as I would never collect enough of them to make a big pan full.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43
            While you cannot immerse the pan in water....

Ooops our Kenwood pan doesn't seem to mind getting a bit wet all over!

Its deffo worth a try.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have always washed mine in the washing up bowl too

Comment

Mine's got a load of gubbins at the bottom which isn't the sort of thing that you'd want to make contact with water - a bit like putting your food processor in the dishwasher!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

mine has a removeable pan with a removeable 'dough kneader' so lifts out of the machine so to speak. No working parts. Thought they were all like that, obviously not though!

Comment

Mine also has a removable pan -(was getting a bit worried there!) and although I do most of my jam on the hob i find it's good for little amounts. In fact this september I'm getting the kids at school to make some for their breakfast club and we're using it. I know it's not really the proper way but at least they will get the chance to taste jam with bits and I won't have to worry about them spilling boiling jam onto themselves!

Comment

'Immersing pan in water' warning

I'm just wading through posts (never seem to be able to keep up!) and spotted this one. My reply isn't about jam - although my breadmaker has a jam function I always use my preserving pan - but about the 'immersing pan in water' bit. My breadmaker has a removable pan (don't they all?), and I always used to stick it in the washing up bowl, however, after a bit I noticed that oil was coming up through the bottom of the pan into the bread dough - when I rang the company who made it to request another pan, the lady I spoke to said that immersing the pans in water knackers the seal ('scuse technical terminology), so only to wash inside. So far so good, although I do miss the ease of the dunk and swish approach.

I only ever use mine to make the dough, as I prefer an oven baked loaf, but I suppose you might not notice the oil thing if you baked your bread in the pan. It's worth checking!
                      Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

the manual for my panasonic says never to immerse the pan in water, but just wash inside, never knew why until now!

i haven't tried jam yet, but am thinking of giving it a go. My recent back injury has meant that i can;t stand at teh hob and keep stirring. Had forgotten all about the jam function TA!!

Comment

I made lovely strab jam in my old 2nd hand bread maker, it was yummy!
                          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterqueen View Post
                            the manual for my panasonic says never to immerse the pan in water, but just wash inside, never knew why until now!

i haven't tried jam yet, but am thinking of giving it a go. My recent back injury has meant that i can;t stand at teh hob and keep stirring. Had forgotten all about the jam function TA!!
                            My Panasonic doesn't have a jam feature but then again it wasn't something I wanted so not a problem.

Comment

I always use the bread machine to make jam. I just freeze the fruit and use it as and when I need more. It does only make it in small quantities, but at least you don't have to collect dozens of empty jars.
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X