• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Squash?

Hi

I picked these yesterday

Winter Squash: Orange Dawn

Questions is, did I pick them too early? Do they need to mature more? and if not: What do I do with them in terms of cooking?

Cheers

WiZer in terms of size I don't know how big this variety grows but the ones on the right and left I would say are too small. Where cooking is concerned there are recipes dotted all over the place www.uktvfood.co.uk mainly uses butternut squash in their recipes but they are worth looking at. www.fooddownunder.com has that many recipes using squash, it will take you a day to read them! Click on Vegetables and then Squash.
    [

Comment

thanks Lesley

Comment

Super recipe!

This recipe is WELL recommended! its taken from Slow Cooker by Sara Lewis - and is a firm family favourite with us (so much so have got lots of squash plants growing in my patch!)
        Squash & carrot cobbler
        1 tblsp oil
        1 large onion chopped
        1lb squash deseeded,peeled and diced
        1lb carrot, diced
        13oz can chopped tomatoes
        8fl oz veg stock
        1 teasp sugar
        2 - 3 rosemary sprigs
        salt and pepper
        Cobbler:
        5oz SR flour
        2oz butter
        3oz of your favourite cheese
        4 teasps chopped rosemary
        4 tblsps water

Heat oil in pan and fry onion gently till softened. Add squash and carrots and cook gently for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add tinned toms, stock, sugar and rosemary and bring to the boil. Season.
        Put mixture into a large pot and then cook in a moderate oven for around an hour and a half. When veg is soft then you know its ready!
        For the cobbler: Mix all ingredients in a bowl, except water and mix until like breadcrumbs, add water and form into small handsized balls.
        Add dumplings to stew mixture and cook for another half an hour until cooked.
        Enjoy!
        Dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I would cut them into wedges, remove the seeds, drizzle with olive oil and roast (about 30mins at 180/gas6)
          or...
          steam and mash
          or...
          Cut into cubes and steam till soft, place in baking dish, pour over enough single cream to just about cover and leave overnight. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake 180/gas6 for about 30 minutes (very indulgent that one)
          or..
          use to make soup.
          Last edited by blackkitty; 19-07-2006, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Yum!

Blackkitty that sounds delish! will definately give it a go! dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Roast with olive oil and whole garlic cloves with a little stock in the bottom of the pan to keep moist.
              Steam chunks and toss in butter with a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon,

Simmer roughly 1 inch squares with a little sliced onion in a can of coconut milk with a little chilli , some ginger and a hefty squeeze of lime. Meat eaters can hurl in some sliced chicken breast. Serve with rice.

Stuff them and roast whole;
              Couscous with chopped apricots and almonds is good.
              Even just some grated Gruyere. Slice off the top pop in the cheese put the lid back on and bake.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X