• Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
    Try this soup, its a recipe from my good friend Shelley

1lb courgettes (sliced) yellow tastes different to green ones
    1 large onion (chopped)
    2 cloves garlic (crushed)
    8oz potatoes
    1 1/2 pints of vegetable stock
    salt & pepper to taste

Firstly sweat the onion and garlic in a pan until soft and then toss in the courgettes and potatoes to saute for a few minutes. Add the stock and simmer until soft. Put through a blender and add seasoning to taste.

When I was given the recipe my first thoughts were "courgette soup" thats got to taste really bland and insipid. Try again, its absolutely delicious and lots of it is now in our freezer for those long dark nights that are looming up on us.

Do try it.
    Sounds nice PW will have to make some tomorrow, thanks

Comment

• I had a stir-fry with supper
      Yellow courgettes, Runner beans, ginger and garlic.
      I cut up the ginger and garlic into very thin 'sticks' (thinner than a matchstick, and first cut is 'across the grain') stir-fry in sunflower oil until definitely turning brown.
      Thinly slice the courgettes (mine are yellow ones, nice texture to those!), cut the runner beans as normal, add to the wok and stir until the courgette slices are starting to be 'floppy', than shake on a little soy sauce (if you like it) and serve.
      Goes well with cold leftover roast, and oven chips (but I reckon would be even better with new pots).
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• Originally posted by milly2306 View Post
        Courgette lemon cake
        Ingredients

200g (7 oz) grated courgette

150g (5 oz) caster sugar

1 egg

125ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil

200g (7 oz) plain flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons lemon zest

Preparation method
        1. Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease a loaf tin.
        2. In a bowl, beat together the courgette, sugar, egg and oil. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder; stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest. Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
        3. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven

I have just made this cake, with a few amendments. Instead of lemon rind, I used a good dash of lemon juice. I squeezed the juice out of the Courgettes, before adding sugar etc. In addition to the rest of the ingredients, I added 2 tbsp Ground Almonds and 1 tbsp of Almond Essence. It cooked in 55 mins, in a fan oven. It is Delish!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by trolleydolly; 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• just made nigellas courgette cake delish

Comment

• I made the riverford chocolate cake thing tonight, but substituted the cocoa powder for a bar of lindt 85% chocolate. ABsolutely delicious...and so moist...and so much of it, I had to cook it in the roasting pan

Comment

• I have made a weightwatchers recipe (don't let that put you off, lol), which is courgette and mint soup. It has a very summery taste. Just use onion, roughly chopped courgettes (used about 3 or 4) and handful of fresh mint, chopped up, cook in some veg stock with salt and pepper for about 10/15 mins. Then blend it. Very nice with some bread.

Comment

• Some of our courgette-based meals over the last two weeks (can't remember further back than that);

Courgettes, peppers, onion and cubes of halloumi tossed in olive oil, few woody herbs and grilled; then stirred through cooked bulgar wheat, with rehydrated raisins and a handful of mint and coriander.

Courgette, paneer and green chili marinaded in yoghurt, mint leaves, lemon juice and freshly ground coriander and cumin. Then grill on kebabs or in a grill pan; nice with dahl, or a 'wet' curry alongside.

Courgette, sweetcorn and pea bake. Really basic and dead easy for children to help with (I cook this for the children's dinner nearly every day at the moment). Grate courgette, drain a bit if you like, layer on the bottom of a loaf-type tin, other veg on top. Mix 1/2 cup plain yoghurt with crumbled feta, or whatever cheese you have; a beaten egg, seasoning and herbs if you fancy. Pour over the courgette mixture. Bake.

Courgette, chicken and pecorino risotto.

Will add any more if I remember them.
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

• chocky courgette muffins ~ makes 48 mini muffins or 24 larger ones

280g SR flour
                  0.5 tsp salt
                  2 tsp cinnamon
                  2 tsp vanilla or almond essence
                  3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 100g chopped chocolate bar instead)
                  1 egg, beaten
                  140g light brown soft sugar
                  90ml milk or water
                  340g courgettes, finely grated
                  85g butter, melted
                  85g raisins or walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 200c, gas mark 5-6

Mix all ingredients up together. Spoon into muffin/cake tins and bake for 25-30 mins, until slightly browned on top

These taste really good, nobody can believe there's veg in them
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I have made a delicious courgette and lemon cake but the Riverford chocolate courgette cake is no longer accessible. Can anyone pass it on please?

Comment

• June is this the one :-

Chocolate Courgette Cake : Riverford Organic Vegetables
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I'm going to type that ^ out in case it disappears again

Riverford's Chocolate Courgette Cake

120g softened unsalted butter
                        125ml sunflower oil
                        100g caster sugar
                        200g soft brown sugar
                        3 eggs, lightly beaten
                        130ml milk
                        350g plain flour
                        2 teaspoons baking powder
                        4 tablespoons cocoa powder
                        450g courgettes, peeled and finely grated
                        1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the butter, sunflower oil and both sugars in a bowl and beat them together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then the milk.
                        Sift the dry ingredients together and fold them into the mixture. Stir in the courgettes and vanilla, then spoon the mixture into a 20 x 35cm baking tin lined with baking parchment. Place in an oven preheated to 190°C/Gas Mark 5 and bake for 35–45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cut into squares whilst still warm.
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Soup, salad and a chutney

Here are a couple of favourites:

firstly - Courgette and broad bean soup

I adore this soup, especically if I time my courgette and broad bean glut at the same time, it's from the riverford veg box people's website and they have lots of other glut recipes:
                          Broad Bean And Courgette Soup : Riverford Organic Vegetables
                          you can substitute peas if you don't have enough broad beans, and it freezes well too

Saw this on ready steady cook and now do it every year: baby courgettes and mushrooms fried/griddled then mix with garlic, lemon and basil - quick and delicious:

BBC - Food - Recipes : Baby courgettes and chanterelle mushrooms with basil

And finally, a good all-purpose chutney recipe from the people at river cottage:
                          http://www.rivercottage.net/Seasonal...2/Glutney.aspx

Enjoy!

Comment

• Courgette & Pineapple loaf

Cooked this below yesterday, have taken it into work for the guys to have with their tea and they LOVE it. the cake is super moist and it is now in my courgette recipe file. Please try it, you will not be disappointed.

Pineapple and Courgette Loaf

A super-moist cake, which is perfect for afternoon tea, elevenses or popping into packed lunches. It's lightly spiced with cinnamon and dotted with raisins and walnuts.

Ready in 1 hour 20 mins

Saved by 2 cook(s)Ingredients
                            Makes: 2 loaves
                            375g plain flour
                            2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
                            1 teaspoon salt
                            1/4 teaspoon baking powder
                            1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
                            400g caster sugar
                            250ml vegetable oil
                            3 eggs
                            3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
                            250g grated courgette
                            1/2 (432g) tin crushed pineapple, well drained
                            145g raisins
                            115g chopped walnuts

Preparation method
                            Prep:20 mins | Cook:1 hour
                            1.Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Line the bottom of two 23x13cm loaf tins with baking parchment.
                            2.Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
                            3.Beat sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl, then stir in courgette and pineapple.
                            4.Gradually pour in the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in raisins and walnuts, mixing to evenly combine.
                            5.Divide batter evenly between the two prepared tins. Bake in the preheated oven until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour.
                            6.Working with one loaf at a time, hold the tin on its side and gently tap the sides against the kitchen surface to loosen it. Cover the tin with a cooling rack and invert it to tip the cake out. Peel off the baking parchment and allow to cool completely.

Comment

• ^ just about to try that one

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X