Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with stale fruit cake?

Hi all
    I have a fruit cake that I made t'other day that has been left out and has now gone dry.
    My question is: what can I make from it? I was wondering if I could make a bread pudding type pud or would that end up too soggy?

Any advice/recipes would be gratefully received.

Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

Feed it to the birds?
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

If you make some holes in it with a skewer and give it a drink or two of brandy/whisky or similar, then put it in an airtight container,it should come back to life.
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Was it a 'rich fruit cake' ie Christmas-type cake, or just a fruit cake (ie a cake with a bit of fruit in it?).

If it was the former, I would agree with Seahorse, but if it was the latter, I would go with lainey lou.

valmarg

Comment

If I remember correctly, you can use the crumbs in Eccles cakes.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Fruit cake is not good for the hips, but its excellent food for the birds
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would mix it with some bread and make bread pudding
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

If it's a rich cake then go for the infusion technique as mentioned above. Alternatively if it's a fruit loaf type one then you can toast it, unless it's gone seriously off and furry! If so then the birds are probably your best bet unless you have a bokashi bin in which case you can crumble it up in there.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Steamed with custard. Yum
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

feed the birdies you'll feel much better for it like two sheds says no weight gain
                    is spacetime curved or was einstien round the bend

Comment

Try crumbling it into some melted dark chocolate, press into swiss roll tin, chill and cut into slices when cool. Kind of like those things I remember making as a kid with melted chocolate and crumbled digestive biscuits. (Not great for the hips....)
                      All at once I hear your voice
                      And time just slips away
                      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

It wasn't a rich fruit cake, just a cake with fruit in that had been left out and gone dry. I now find that my theiving 6mth old boxer pup has helped himself to half of it! The rest is going to the birds on the allotment. Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Kirsty (and Lauren, off school poorly and reading over my shoulder!)
                        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X