home made cold smoker

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home made cold smoker

The cold smoker project is underway. Today I am mostly smoking cheese and chile peppers. All you need is a soldering iron (£3.50 from ebay), a bag of wood pellets (£4.99 from planetbarbecue.co.uk), tin foil, a cardboard box, some cheese and peppers.

Instructions: make a tin foil parcel filled with a small handful of wood pellets (I used pecan wood, which is like hickory, but less powerful). Put a small hole in the top of the foil packet and insert the soldering iron into the side of the packet. Switch on the soldering iron. Place a piece of cheese (garlic bulb, peppers, whatever) next to the soldering iron and cover both with a cardboard box. The box will fill with smoke. Leave for a couple of hours.

It is supposed to be a cold smoker meaning the food doesn't heat up. An hour into the process and the cheese is still cold. I had thought I'd have to carry the smoke from the main box to another box using a cardboard tube to cool it, but it appears not.

You have to try this! For less than £10 outlay you get a great food smoker. And it is so simple. You can even choose the flavour of the woodsmoke - Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Sugar Maple, Pecan, Oak, Cherry, Black Walnut, Orange, Sassafras, Mulberry, Jack Daniels(!), Savory Herb or Alder.

*The photo below shows a tin can rather than a tin foil packet. This is because I started out with a tin can, but it didn't work too well - too much oxygen, not enough smoke.

Very ingenious unconcerned!

Just make sure your home insurance is up to date!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Brilliant! I bought my OH a book on smoking and curing for Xmas as he'd expressed an interest after watching Hugh FW's fish programme where a burly Scot had one in his back garden. On opening his present he didn't seem too thrilled though (looked too complicated i guess) but apparently not! I will print off this thread. Thanks unconcerned!
      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
      Happy Gardening!

Comment

Very clever but I can see why some members 'are concerned'. The smoke must leak out into the house. Soldering irons are quite high wattage and there is a worry about the wood catching fire. I am sure your process could be refined I will let you know if I have any ideas. If you have any more refinements please post them as I have loads of Mackerel in the freezer that I have kept to smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
          . Soldering irons are quite high wattage and there is a worry about the wood catching fire.
          I'd be more worried about the plastic melting and burning!
          Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
          I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

My mum's a cold smoker.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X