No announcement yet.

Help - my butternut squash are going mouldy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pumpkin/ winter squash bread is a version of white bread variation. The simple/ rough explanation will be :
    Puree the cook pumpkin/ winter squash ( I like to bake mine and then puree, but you could steam/ boil it before puree too). mix the puree with yeast, let it ferment for 20 minutes, then ready to be use as yeast starter. The amount of squash is really as desire but remember, the more squash puree you use, the lesser water you can add in.
    I will post the winter squash/ pumpkin recipe if you both like it but since I always make it without measuring, will have to make it one time with measurement and post this on the recipe section... ?

Momol
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
      my tummy has started gurgling at the thought of this, never thought of using butternuts in bread, might venture out to shed if it stops p***ing down for 30 seconds (hasn't relented all morning here) and have a go at making some, if they haven't rotted like other peoples have!
      Can't see why not. Potato bread is FABULOUS so butternut squash bread should be.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

From Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, i've made these a couple of times without the frosted top & they are delicous - very carrot cake like:

Butternut squash muffins with a frosty top

Ingredients (makes 12 muffins)
        400g butternut squash, skin on, deseeded and roughly chopped
        350g light soft brown sugar
        4 large free-range or organic eggs sea salt
        300g plain flour, unsifted
        2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
        a handful of walnuts
        1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
        175ml extra virgin olive oil

for the frosted cream topping:
        zest of 1 clementine
        zest of 1 lemon
        juice of ½ a lemon
        140ml soured cream
        2 heaped tablespoons icing sugar, sifted

optional:
        lavender flowers or rose petals
        1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped out

Method
        Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line your muffin tins with paper cases.

Whiz the squash in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the sugar, and crack in the eggs. Add a pinch of salt, the flour, baking powder, walnuts, cinnamon and olive oil and whiz together until well beaten. You may need to pause the machine at some point to scrape the mix down the sides with a rubber spatula. Try not to overdo it with the mixing – you want to just combine everything and no more.

Fill the paper cases with the cake mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Check to see whether they are cooked properly by sticking a wooden skewer or a knife right into one of the cakes – if it comes out clean, they’re done. If it’s a bit sticky, pop them back into the oven for a little longer. Remove from the oven and leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.

As soon as the muffins are in the oven, make your runny frosted topping. Place most of the clementine zest, all the lemon zest and the lemon juice in a bowl. Add the soured cream, icing sugar and vanilla seeds and mix well. Taste and have a think about it – adjust the amount of lemon juice or icing sugar to balance the sweet and sour. Put into the fridge until your cakes have cooled down, then spoon the topping on to the cakes.

Serve with the rest of the clementine zest sprinkled over.
        Jane,
        keen but (slightly less) clueless
        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

When you cut butternuts (or any squash for storing) cut it with as long a stem as possible. Leave on the plant in the sun (if we have any) as long as possible to ripen. After cutting you could still leave in the open air and sunshine to ripen further. Last year was not good for me for squashes of any sort, and the two butternuts I stored in the shed started to go mouldy at the neck so I used them PDQ. The one in the kitchen on top of the high cupboard that I had forgotten about is still fine!!!!!!! (I am only five foot tall)

Comment

As well as drying them out well before cutting, you need to cut them with a long stalk, not a short one.
            Try again next year. None of my squashes grew beyond tennis ball size.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby View Post

I go out and have a feel of them about every uther day
              careful you could be arrested for that
              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X