Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Yoghurt Cake

For Wellie - give this a whirl. This cake looks plain, but it is delicious: sharp and tangy, not too sweet, and very moist. And it's a doddle to make.

For the cake
    125 g softened butter
    1 cup caster sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup thick plain yoghurt
    60 ml lemon juice
    1 tablespoon lemon zest
    2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

For the lemon syrup
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    90 ml lemon juice
    2 wide strips of lemon rind (use a potato peeler on the lemon)

Preheat the oven to 180 C. Butter and line a 23 cm round cake tin.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well.

Stir in the lemon juice and zest and half the flour. Then add the yoghurt, the remaining flour, and the bicarbonate of soda, and mix to combine. (It's easier to mix in the flour in two batches rather than all at once; there's no magical order of addition of yoghurt and lemon or anything.)

Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, and smooth the top well. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the cake starts to come away from the sides of the tin, and a skewer inserted comes out clean.

A few minutes before the cake is ready to come out of the oven, prepare the syrup. Place the sugar, water, lemon juice, and strips of lemon rind in a small saucepan. (If your lemons are very sharp, reduce the amount of lemon juice a little and make the volume up with water.) Cook, stirring, over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the syrup to simmer gently for 4 minutes, then remove from the heat and fish out the two strips of rind. Immediately pour the syrup over the top of the cake, while it is still hot and in the tin.

Let the cake sit for at least 5 minutes before turning out of the tin and serving. It is good both warm and at room temperature, for up to a day or so after making. Serve plain or with a dollop of yoghurt.

Never lasts longer than a couple of days here!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Very interesting cake recipe, I've never tried it with yogurt in it. Like you say, not very sweet which I don't like either. Will definitely try it sometime, thanks.
    Last edited by veg4681; 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM.
    Food for Free

Comment

Will it freeze ok, Flum?

Comment

I expect so. If you try it, let me know!

Comment

Sounds yummy Flum, will it go with cream or custard or is it more 'with a cup of coffee' cake?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Sounds lovely! I'm baking for the school Christmas Fair this week, so may give it a go!
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
              Sounds yummy Flum, will it go with cream or custard or is it more 'with a cup of coffee' cake?
              It would certainly go with cream. If you ate it warm it would be grand with custard. I like it as it comes because it's moist and I like the unadulterated flavour. Tea or coffee - any excuse!

Comment

Thanks Flum. Might give it a try as Sunday dessert. We don't eat cake here - if I ever make crimbo cake it is still kicking around the next year!!!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

It's got fruit in. In my book that makes it one of your 5 portions!

Comment

Ooh.... to echo Shirlthegirl, that sounds YUMMY FLUMMY!
                    and similar to the Cranks Lemon Drizzle Cake I make, but I'm definitely going to try your recipe, spesh having just bought more lemons today (unwaxed of course...) and I do like a slightly tart, dryish taste rather than sweet and sickly, so 'stand aside Trousers' this cake's mine!!!
                    Thank you very much for sharing your recipe Flum. Much appreciated...
                    X

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      It's got fruit in. In my book that makes it one of your 5 portions!
                      And remember, wine is made from grapes so pour yourself a glass and that's 2 of the 5

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Pour yourself another one when that one's empty, makes 3 out of 5....
                        Do you see where I'm going with this one?!

Comment

Ah but you can't have 2 of the same thing. So - a glass of white and a glass of red? Should work!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X