Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled beetroot in balsamic

Hi All,

I am going to pickle beetroot for the first time and am looking for HELP!

Ideally I would like to use balsamic vineger but can not find any receipes for this only 'roasted with balsamic' which is great.

Any wise grapes out there with ideas??

Ta much, M

Baby beetroot in balsamic vinegar with a fondue of red onion by - Alain Passard
    (11 September 2006 08:34)

INGREDIENTS
    (serves two)

1 red onion, finely diced
    24 baby beetroots
    Salt
    60g salted butter
    2tbs aged balsamic vinegar
    Pinch of parsley, finely chopped
    1tbs whipping cream

METHOD
    Stew the red onion in 30g of butter until softened.

Boil the baby beetroot in salted water. Roll in half the salted butter and the balsamic vinegar.

Place some red onion in the middle of a plate. Place the beetroot on top.

Heat cream. Add parsley. Liquidise. Pass through a fine sieve. Pour a cordon of hot, parsley-ed cream around the onion and beetroot.

Alain Passard

Source: Caterer & Hotelkeeper

Comment

2 raw beetroots
      1 cup of balsamic vinegar
      2 cinamon stick
      2 star anise
      A few cloves and peppercone
      1/2 teaspoon of allspice
      Shallots (optional)
      Ginger (optional)
      Brown sugar

How to cook beetroot
      Wash the raw beetroots gently to remove dirt. Leave the skin on and boil them in water til cooked. To check whether they are done, pierce them with a fork. Tender beetroots means you can remove them from heat and are ready to eat or pickle. Never cut uncooked beetroots if you intend to boil them. The red cell, or pigment known as betalins, will leak. Betalin is most stable in PH 4.0 to 5.0, which makes beetroot good in vinegar.

Preparing beetroot for pickling
      The skin of cooked beetroots can be peeled off very easily. Once the skin is removed, you can half them and cut them into 5mm slices as shown in the photo. Try a couple at this point if you have not taste them before. Cooked beetroots are sweet and can also be made into soup, mix with potatoes and pasta.

Leave the rest aside while you prepare the spiced vinegar. To prevent staining, cut on porcelain or glass.

How to spice vinegar
      Place the vinegar in a saucepan and bring it to simmering point. Turn the heat down, put in the spices and let them infuse in the vinegar for 30 minutes. Add brown sugar according to your own preference of sweetness. Stir in beetroot slices and cook in very low heat for another 20 minutes or so. Leave it to cool to absorb the flavour.

Storing the pickled beetroot
      Clean the non-corrosive jars that you will be using to keep the beetroot in hot water to which has been added a small drop of washing up liquid. Rinse under a clean running tap and leave to stand on some clean kitchen paper towel, tops down. When well drained, place in oven, set on the lowest setting, turn off oven after 30 minutes and let cool in oven before use.

Pack beets tightly into the cold jars, pour in vinegar, making sure that ½ inch of vinegar covers beets. Cover tightly and label. Keep pickled beetroot in the fridge.

How to serve beetroot
      Pickled beetroots goes well in salads and sandwiches. They are also good accompaniment for Roast Pork Loin. Try them with vanilla ice cream or yogurt too!

Comment

Never used balsamic vinegar to pickle beetroot before, sounds interesting if a tad expensive. Usually make my own pickling vinegar with white vinegar and various spices, but this year used Sarsons Pickling Vinegar (cheap from A***a) to good effect. Tad harsh for straight pickles, but great for chutneys.

Comment

RL
          A**A had balsalmic vinegar in the other week seemed very cheap< dont know if it still there will have a look tomorrow.

Comment

I really will have to try this one. Himself heartily dislikes beetroot in all its forms but I have 2 short rows looking for a fate. I feel balsamic calling me. Going to A**A tomorrow PaulW. I'll see what they have.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks PaulW,

They sound brill, I will stock up on balsamic tonight and get pickling

Mandy

Comment

I used to pickle shopbought 'raw' beetroot with white vinegar and a few spices (of your own choice) and it always worked just fine. I've also used sarsons when feeling lazy and that was good too, if not quite as tasty as adding your own spices.
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Bumpty bump.....

Just remade this version of pickled beetroot again thanks to Paulw

Tweeked a little to what I had available but it still tastes and smells amazing!

Will make some more for xmas gifts too.

Thanks, Mandy

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                  2 raw beetroots
                  1 cup of balsamic vinegar
                  2 cinamon stick
                  2 star anise
                  A few cloves and peppercone
                  1/2 teaspoon of allspice
                  Shallots (optional)
                  Ginger (optional)
                  Brown sugar

How to cook beetroot
                  Wash the raw beetroots gently to remove dirt. Leave the skin on and boil them in water til cooked. To check whether they are done, pierce them with a fork. Tender beetroots means you can remove them from heat and are ready to eat or pickle. Never cut uncooked beetroots if you intend to boil them. The red cell, or pigment known as betalins, will leak. Betalin is most stable in PH 4.0 to 5.0, which makes beetroot good in vinegar.

Preparing beetroot for pickling
                  The skin of cooked beetroots can be peeled off very easily. Once the skin is removed, you can half them and cut them into 5mm slices as shown in the photo. Try a couple at this point if you have not taste them before. Cooked beetroots are sweet and can also be made into soup, mix with potatoes and pasta.

Leave the rest aside while you prepare the spiced vinegar. To prevent staining, cut on porcelain or glass.

How to spice vinegar
                  Place the vinegar in a saucepan and bring it to simmering point. Turn the heat down, put in the spices and let them infuse in the vinegar for 30 minutes. Add brown sugar according to your own preference of sweetness. Stir in beetroot slices and cook in very low heat for another 20 minutes or so. Leave it to cool to absorb the flavour.

Storing the pickled beetroot
                  Clean the non-corrosive jars that you will be using to keep the beetroot in hot water to which has been added a small drop of washing up liquid. Rinse under a clean running tap and leave to stand on some clean kitchen paper towel, tops down. When well drained, place in oven, set on the lowest setting, turn off oven after 30 minutes and let cool in oven before use.

Pack beets tightly into the cold jars, pour in vinegar, making sure that ½ inch of vinegar covers beets. Cover tightly and label. Keep pickled beetroot in the fridge.

How to serve beetroot
                  Pickled beetroots goes well in salads and sandwiches. They are also good accompaniment for Roast Pork Loin. Try them with vanilla ice cream or yogurt too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X