Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Novice cook seeks easy but scrummy prawn recipes.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are your Prawns cooked (pink) or raw (blue/grey)??

We have them stirfried with lots of crunchy veg, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil etc and noodles. My 3 year old loves them. I also did them with a satay sauce the other night - you can even go the whole hog & thread them on a skewer if you can be bothered. If I'm in a rush I buy a readymade satay sauce - sainsbury's do a fab one, otherwise I make my own which only takes a few mins

peanut butter, coconut milk, garlic, soy, bit of sugar etc... yummy!

If they are raw I put them in for a few mins til they turn pink, if they are already cooked then they heat through in less than a min!!
    How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Hi Sunbeam,
      Thank you. Like the sound of that sauce. Quantities? Need to be led by the hand, I'm afraid! They're pink.

Nick,
      Congratulations upon your elevation.

B.

Comment

Satay Sauce

Hi Berr

Right, quantities...err! I tend to just all the ingredients in a pan & go by how it tastes! This is a recipe I cut out years ago for a chicken satay... they use water instead of coconut milk - but I think it is vital!

4 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
        1 can coconut milk
        1 clove garlic - crushed
        soft brown sugar - to your taste.
        Soy sauce - to taste

Put p'butter,coconut & garlic in pan & bring to a simmer, stir til well mixed and cook until reduced to a consistency you like. Add sugar to taste (the recipe says 1 tablespoon - I personally think this is too much) and Soy to taste. If you think it needs 'lifting' add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. You can also add a small amount of curry powder too if that suits but you'll need to cook it out to get rid of that raw spice powder taste.

Your prawns are cooked so they literally need a minute to warm through... serve with rice/noodles - or if you're feeling lavish cook the sauce til really thick and have in a sarnie with some greek yogurt!!

I am very proud to be a germinator - thanks for the congrats!

Enjoy your satay!!
        Last edited by Sunbeam; 29-04-2006, 05:44 PM.
        How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Thank you, Sunbeam; you are indeed a light in my darkness. I'll let you know how I get on.

Seedling Berr.

Comment

berr,
            you've probably eaten all those prawns by now, and found your favourite recipe, but i thought i'd let you know a tasty and very easy king prawn pasta. heat garlic and chilli, until brown, throw in the prawns. when they've coloured add a big glass of white wine and a tble spoon of tomato puree. (looks very liquidy, but don't worry, the pasta soaks it up). once thats bubbles for awhile, take off heat, add a bunch of rocket and juice from one lemon. stir into a pasta of your choice.
            once i made this once, i couldn't stop eating it. even better next day too. just change the quantities to your taste. maybe some sun-dried toms too, more lemon maybe. easy and really delicious.

Comment

Thanks, Larry. I'm onto it!

Berr.

Comment

Green Thai prawn curry

Whizz in a blender 1 tsp sugar, small bunch coriander stalks only, thick cream bit out of a can of coconut milk and 1 tbsp green thai curry paste. Makes a thin paste. Stir fry for a couple of mins then add a glug of coconut milk from the can and bring to a simmer. Add prawns and generous handful of spinach. Cook until prawns heated through and spinach wilted. Add 1/2 tbsp thai fish sauce, juice of 1/2 lime and coriander leaves. Serve over rice or noodles. This is really such a quick and simple recipe and absolutely delicious, I make it all the time. Hope you enjoy X

PS i recommend the blue dragon curry paste / coconut milk
                Last edited by Amybee; 30-05-2006, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Amy,
                  Thank you very much for what seems like another excellent- and doable- recipe. And for the Blue Dragon tip! I've tried nearly all of the recipes the kind folk here have suggested (between ourselves, I've made a couple of them more than once.) But I still have quite a few of the famous prawns left. So, I'm onto this one too! I think it was Nicos that first put me onto the old coconut milk. I was surprised that that's such a successful ingredient.

B.

Comment

A tasty snack for one is a big plate of king prawns & a jar of hellmans - devoured whilst watching Dr Who on the telly

Comment

More a 1000 Islands/ Sopranos man m'self. Satay is seriously good, by the way, S. Thank you again!

B.

Dr Who??

Comment

Yep Dr Who!! Don't tell me you don't watch it - it's ace!! Tea on our laps - & cushion at the ready to hide behind! Glad you enjoyed the satay - its good with most meats/fish etc...

Comment

Really Easy and Quick - Low Fat Prawn Risotto

Low Fat Prawn Risotto

Serves 4

1 medium onion finely chopped
                          2 cloves garlic crushed
                          225g/8 oz Arborio rice
                          pinch saffron
                          600ml/1 pint vegetable stock
                          half glass white wine
                          450g/1 lb large prawns
                          2 spring onions finely sliced
                          2tbsp crème fraiche/fromage frais
                          salt and black pepper

1.Dry fry onion until soft. Add garlic, rice and saffron.
                          2.Gradually stir in stock and wine, allowing rice to absorb liquid before adding more.
                          3.Once all liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked, stir in prawns. Cover and allow to cook for about 5 minutes (less if prawns are pre-cooked)
                          4.Remove from heat and fold in spring onions and crème fraiche. Season and serve.

372cals 3.5g fat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X