No announcement yet.

Preserve tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the responses. Piglet, i 've looked into the canning thing recently...it does seem esy. I assume i would be able to put garlic and onions in with the tomatoes in the jar before heating?

What i might do is freeze them first, then when the garlic is ready, can with the onions. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...
    Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

in the delia recipe it says to skin the toms. Is this absolutely necessary? I have a bag full of cherry toms, skinning would be torture!

Comment

Hi WiZeR,
        Sorry, didn't realise they were cherry toms. Knowing me, I probably didn't read your post properly .
        I personally hate tomato skins so I would take them off but if you don't mind the skins then I''m sure you could leave them on (or perhaps, scoop them out of the finished sauce?)
        Have fun
        Clare
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks Clare, i'll give it a go. You live and learn!

Piglet: I know you have probably answered these questions before...but...

Can you point me to an actual canner on US ebay which you think is suitible.. also a supplier for the cans.
          Last edited by WiZeR; 16-08-2007, 10:07 AM.

Comment

we make ratatouille with whatever is avaialble in the garden, the acidity of the tomatoes help to preserve the other veg (pumpkins, courgettes, onions, basil, aubergines etc).
            simply boil up a large pan of ratatouille, and fill sterilised jars (heated in the oven or dishwasher!) while the mix is still very hot, pop on the lids and allow to cool. if it works the lids pop in, as a vaccuum inside is formed.
            we lose maybe one in ten over the winter, but feel safe that the tomato acid has stopped any poisonous bacteria forming. the other 9 are fine and give us a taste of summer through the winter months - as well as very quick easy meals.
            another option is to chop them into soup, and freeze. instant tomato soup through the winter.
            we can also sundry them, but havent had consistent sun this year to sundry anything
            www.portugalsmallholding.org

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X