No announcement yet.

Red Onion Marmalade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, made mine at the weekend and I don't think it could be easier! Thanks PW.

Although mine was all done by guestimation - I had various sized onions, only a part 500ml bottle of sherry vinegar, and approximated because I couldn't find any exact conversion from cups to proper weights. I think I ended up with about 150gms of sugar, 450ml sherry vinegar and the rest as per the recipe.

Tastes nice enough and was lovely on burgers we had at the barbecue. Having it in my sandwiches this week too.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Cost me £15

One of the replies mentioned Nigella Lawson and OH said she didn't remember "Onion Mush", she did a search on NL's website and realised there was a book she didn't have.

Well she has it now!
      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

I made the red onion marmalade today - used a mix of red and white onions that were undeveloped in taste and size - they were fairly bland and tiny, The end result tasted great and I guess a few weeks standing will make it even better.

Thanks.
        Last edited by maytreefrannie; 13-08-2008, 08:29 PM. Reason: correcting 'with' to 'will'
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I made this last weekend with the addition of Dexterdog's apple and sultanas, it is delicious. Had some on some cheese toast tonight with a cuppa, yum yum!

Comment

where od you get the pickling spices

Comment

I susbstituted part of the wine vinegar with pickling vinegar that already had the spices added. It really tastes great, I gave a jar to my neighbour and one to a friend and they have both asked for the recipe.

Comment

I popped into Lidl yesterday and their red onions were half price. If you have a Lidl near you it would be a great time to make this recipe on the cheap.

I bought 4 bags as this recipe is just the biz.

Comment

Hi PW,

Made this recipe today. It took over 3 hours. What did I do wrong? It wouldn't reduce.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to say. When I did decant it into the jars, it looks menacingly dark and is very thick.

I had to reduce it this much, as the liquid was quite thin mostly up until the very end.

Any ideas?

Comment

I made some Onion Marmalade about 6 weeks ago but as I had it in I substituted one cup of vinegar for a cup of Balsamic and for that extra special touch I added a slug of Brandy.

Just tried it for the first time with some mature cheddar, delicious

Comment

Made this a couple of weekends ago, but with white onions (originally the size of footballs!). Tried some yesterday - yum yum!
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Just got a batch of this underway, made from a mixture of red and white onions, with a dash of balsamic vinegar added.
                          Last edited by SarzWix; 14-07-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this one back to the top of the pile Sarz - perfect timing, my red onions look just about right for this recipe.

Comment

Chef used to make this in the restaurant and while I dont remember exact recipe I do know she used brown sugar and red wine, the result was angels dancing on your tongue, we used to serve it with calves liver and also Stilton souffle.
                              PS she also used to say that you needed to do it in a tall sided saucepan, not sure why ¿
                              Last edited by TEB; 14-07-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
                                PS she also used to say that you needed to do it in a tall sided saucepan, not sure why ¿
                                TEB, I think the tall sided saucepan is so that you can boil it to a reduction without splashing the sugar mixture all over the cooker.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X