Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup it's normally shortly after the GR closes

Comment

You should try using lemons or grapefruit for marmalade instead of the bitter Seville oranges. The last batch of lemon/lime marmalade I made recently (see post #13) turned out well, although at the time I thought it wouldn't set properly. It was a bit chunky though because although I had sliced up the crystallized ginger it still swelled up with the boiling; it tastes OK anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
        Thanks everyone - I reboiled this with a bit of added lemon juice and it set perfectly. Lesson learned... be more patient! Having said that I won't be making marmalade again - far too much of a faff!!
        I cheat and use the tins of Mamade prepared oranges It means I can make it all year round if I start to run out......that's my excuse anyway!

Comment

I made a batch of calamondin, lemon, and kumquat marmalade last week - I have a small tree of each in big pots and get plenty of fruit, the trees bear so heavily.

The problem is I read on-line adding grapefruit rind to make it bitter worked well - that did not work well for me, gave it a bitterness unlike the pleasant Seville orange kind, with a tiny astringent bit. Never add that again, stick to my fruit.

What I find with my fruits is it jells poorly, I have to boil it way down to get the wrinkle stage, and it becomes dark with a soft jell still - not nearly as good as my usual, but I will use it, not good enough to give as gifts though. Do not add grapefruit zest - or at least not from the one I used.

But it has a very good citrus depth of flavor, and the kumquats make for lovely peel bits. I use a lot of marmalade in cooking as well as on toast. Mixed with mustard, from yellow to the stronger kinds, it makes a nice glaze for baked pork chops or chicken breast. I also put a bit in curries and various things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X