Pickling beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickling beetroot

While i love pickled beetroot this is my first year actually doing it. I have row about ping pong ball size that I want to to.
    Questions:
    Would somebody please be able to tell me a good method please and also could I use white wine vinegar instead of malt vinegar because I find some brands really strong and would like to keep some of the beetroot taste if poss.

Thanks in anticipation
    Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

In other recipes I've made, if I havent got enough of one type of vinegar, I've just swopped it for another - things turned out OK. Will check for you tho. Bernie
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I use my 'Jams, chutneys etc.' book by Marguerite Patten -
      She suggests slicing or dicing your cooked beetroot and putting into boiling salted water (1tablespoon to a pint) - high but if you don't brine it it doesn't keep so well. Simmer in this for 10 minutes.
      Meantime, prepare spiced vinegar - (tablespoon of pickling spices to the pint of vinegar - of your choice - boil together for 5 - 15 mins depending on how spicy you want it.)
      Strain the boiling vinegar over the hot beet in the jars and seal.
      Last edited by Flummery; 20-06-2007, 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flum amd Bernie
        I take it that I would sterilise the jars as I do for jams and stuff? (oven low heat for 15ish mins)
        Thanks again, much appreciated.
        Kirsty
        Last edited by kirsty b; 20-06-2007, 09:59 AM.
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Yep, I put mine in the oven on low while I'm doing the faffing.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

pickled me.

I am going to attempt to copy the info on this tread today.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

sainsburys sell pickling vinegar in jars just right for pickled beetroot or pickled onions etc
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

been and got some today, ya. :-)
                Currently boiling me beets.

Comment

Purple finger prints everywhere....

How bizarre, all that beetroot produced one fat jar full. House stinks of vinegar now.

So erm... when do you think is the earliest i can sample my efforts..?

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                    How bizarre, all that beetroot produced one fat jar full. House stinks of vinegar now.

So erm... when do you think is the earliest i can sample my efforts..?
                    Ohhh, lets think about this??.....um.????....... tomorrow maybe?.....no!!....I know....NOW!!!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As a change from pickled beetroot you may like to try the following. Its from an Aussie Women's Weekly book on preserves.

BEETROOT CHUTNEY

1 kg beetroot, peeled and chopped
                      240g onions chopped
                      800g apples peeled and chopped
                      2 large oranges peeled and chopped
                      1 cup sugar
                      1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
                      2 tablespoons lemon juice
                      2 cups white malt vinegar
                      1 fresh red chilli, chopped
                      1 clove garlic, crushed
                      1 teaspoon coriander seeds

Steam or microwave beetroot until just tender. Combine beetroot and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about an hour, or until mixture is thick. Pour into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Ohhh, lets think about this??.....um.????....... tomorrow maybe?.....no!!....I know....NOW!!!
                        You can have it now but personally I find it tastes a whole lot better if you leave it a couple of months.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Is it just me....or is it cheaper to buy own brand pickled beetroot (c.21p) than it is to buy pickling vinegar and make your own? Am i missing the point?! Or is life really too short to pickle your own beetroot?

On the other hand, can you re-use the pickling vinegar from said own brand pickle?
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The home made stuff is infinitely nicer in my opinion and if you've got spare crop then it seems a shame to waste it. You probably could reuse the pickling vinegar but I'd be a bit worried about it being contaminated by it's previous use. Maybe I'm just sad, but I like preserving stuff, it's nice to use over the year when I don't have the crop nice and fresh - find it good stress relief after a hard day at work, especially if I can't get out in the garden.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X