So annoying!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
    Jellies usually get boiled up with the sugar after they've been sieved/strained like in this recipe

Piquant Apple chilli Jelly Recipe - The Cottage Smallholder | The Cottage Smallholder

That way the hot jelly is sterile when going into, preferably, still hot jars and lids go on straight away. No chance of germs getting in that way
    Yes that's a very good point Thelma. Not only are the ingredients wrong, but the order of doing things doesn't make any sense. Boiling with sugar needs to be the last thing you do before you pour the jelly into the jars, so it goes in hot and sterile.

If you strain after boiling with the sugar, as in that recipe, the temperature is going to drop and new bugs and spores will get in without being killed. It's also likely to start setting in the sieve, so that might be why the process was so long and messy for rhonsal.

Comment

Just to throw this in - my jams and jellies are made with 50% sugar to fruit, with the sugar added after any straining. I really struggle with the sweetness in commercial preserves. Usually I don't need to add pectin. The hot liquid is either sealed under clingfilm in the microwave or I invert the jars. The only time I have had mould issues is when the seal has been faulty.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by whiskyman View Post
        I am going to start making Jam next year, what do you use to sterilize the jars?
        the oven after washing them in piping hot water...

Comment

I had mould issues this year too. It was 2 jars out of a batch of 10. Those two jars were the same type, none of the others type of jar had problems. I put it down to a sealing problem.
          Now I need to come up with a different jam recipie to make the extra jars of jam as there are no apples left on the trees at the orchard!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X