No announcement yet.

What to do with big beetroots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first of all congratulations on haveing beetroot ready to eat,nevermind that big,ref woody or not,cook 1 in the mirowave,a little boiling water in the dish bottom and cover,cook intill tender,could be upto 1/2 hour,if it's ok,you can also chop up and freeze,i still have a bit from last year,is nice,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks a lot lottie dolly. Beginners luck I guess.

Comment

Why not try making Beetroot and Ginger Chutney. If you make now, by the time the turkey is ready to take out of the oven, it will have matured nicely - and it's always a lovely 'home made' Christmas stocking filler for family and friends too.

Nigela has the one that I find has the best flavours.
        Nigella’s Beetroot & Ginger Chutney

Description
        You will need 6 x 250ml/9oz sealable jars, with vinegar-proof lids, such as Kilner jars or
        re-usable pickle jars.

Ingredients:
        500g/1lb 2oz fresh beetroot, peeled, finely chopped
        1kg/2lb 2oz cooking apples, peeled, quartered, cored, roughly chopped
        275g/10oz red onion, finely chopped
        2.5cm/1in piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
        75g/2½oz crystallised stem ginger, finely chopped
        350g/12oz soft light brown sugar
        2 tsp Maldon salt, or 1 tsp table salt
        1 tsp ground allspice
        750ml/1 pint 7fl oz red wine vinegar

Method:
        1. Place the beetroot, apple and red onion into a large pan.
        2. Add the fresh ginger, crystallised ginger, brown sugar, salt and ground allspice.
        3. Add the vinegar and stir to mix well.
        4. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for approximately one hour, stirring every now and again, until the beetroot pieces are tender.
        5. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Keep refrigerated and use within four weeks.

Now she recommends use within four weeks, but if you are not in to 'ealth & safety' dictating your life, then I've kept these for months - the secret is with the sealing of the jars in the first place and storage. If you vacuum seal - i.e. fill jars to 2.5cm from the top, put the lids on but do not too tight, then place jars in pot with water which should be no more than three quarters up the jars, bring to the boil and boil for 10 mins, then (carefully) remove from pots with good heat proof gloves and really tighten down the lids, then I've kept my chutney for months on end, and have only just opened a jar I made a year ago. Store in a dark cool place.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Don't think you lift and store and then replant Chris. Just leave in the ground to go to seed.
          I've read that if you get cold winters then you should lift and store over winter. Replant them in spring. Lifting them also allows you to select the best roots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X