Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    Lovely thank you - sorry, will let you get on
    Sorry, just remembered this, was very busy over the weekend but will try and remember tonight

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
    I'm not using the pulp from my jelly cos it's full of seeds, stalks and skin, BLURRRR
    You have to shove it all through a sieve so that you get rid of the seeds, skin etc and get a smooth pulp.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I've just made the spiced version and what an amazing colour it is, just a bit darker than Irn Bru. It tastes amazing too but I seem to have trapped air bubbles in it, will this be ok?

Picked lots more crabapples yesterday to make the unspiced version tomorrow
        My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've made crab apple jelly in many colours. The ornamental crab apples make great jelly, and if you have the darker red ones, the jelly colour will be somewhere between 'claret' and 'burgundy', if the apples are green, yellow, or very pale pink the jelly will be pale pink. Anything you add will affect the colour (mint, without food colurant, can produce a pale muddy colour, chiilies can make a pale red brighter, etc).
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I still have the sieved pulp to make apple cheese with so almost no wasteage.
            Can the sieved pulp be used with, say, blackberries, to make jam?

Comment

OK - have finally remembered to post apple cheese recipe. Basically tis dead simple. Weight the seived puree. Add the same weight of sugar and gently warm to disolve the sugar. Increase the heat and continue to cook for about 1.5 hours until it spits and snorts at you as it's so thick. Then put into straight sided jars or moulds and cover for hygiene. I usually do mine in ramekins or similar with a disc of greaseproof paper on top and then finish with large jam pot covers. Leave for a few weeks / months then turn out and slice to eat. It can help if you lightly oil the sides of the mould with a tasteless oil or even glycerine too. You can do this with any fruit pulp, using the same method and add spices etc as required for flavour.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X