Jam gone very wrong

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
    My setting test is to use a metal spoon to scrape some jame off the inside of the pan, round the edge. If it is setting when lifted out, it's done!
    so much easier that way, thanks for that, will try it next time

Comment

Originally posted by becky2812 View Post
      nipped to the local hardware store and got a jam thermometer, i'm really not sure i'll catch it at the right ime otherwise. Even after an hour of boiling, it didn't seem ready to me!! What temperature should it reach for me to take it off the heat?
      105 degrees C /220 degrees F

I stick my thermometer in as soon as I put it on to boil and just leave it hooked on the pan and check for when it gets above boiling. Once it's at 105, it doesn't need much longer than about 5-10 mins

Comment

Thank you.
        I'll have a second attempt at it tonight then! And my friend at work has been to a bigger supermarket, so picked me up a bag of jam sugar!

Comment

best thig i ever bought too............ takes all the hassle out of temperature worry and know how long its been at the temp...
          very few failures with a jam thermometer
          WI Plum Jam Recipe

This is standard Plum Jam as per the WI. You can get jam/preserving sugar in bigger supermarkets (I have the same problem with local shops - it's too exotic for them!)

I found that my best ever buy was a preserving thermometer (from Lakeland I think)... fantastic little item, no more over/under boiling!
          this will be a battle from the heart
          cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by becky2812 View Post
            Thank you.
            I'll have a second attempt at it tonight then! And my friend at work has been to a bigger supermarket, so picked me up a bag of jam sugar!
            Jam Sugar tends to be for soft fruits whereas preserving sugar is used for stone fruits/hedgerow fruits. The latter is the one for plums.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My setting test is to use a metal spoon to scrape some jame off the inside of the pan, round the edge. If it is setting when lifted out, it's done!
              This is pretty good advice for those who struggle to gauge it. All in all if you've had your stove on 15 minutes you've cooked it enough; this also accounts for heating up.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

thanks virgin grower.
                I am confused about the sugar now though! I have jam sugar which says for berries and peaches and pears on the packet, so will go look for preserving sugar for the plums!! Who knew there were so many types of sugar!
                Will use this jam sugar for my raspberries and blackberries

Comment

I just buy Jam Sugar and use it for any low-pectin fruits, regardless of whether they are berries or plums!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X