runnr bean stringing and slicing ready for freezer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

um ... what's a spong?
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-08-2011, 07:12 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      um ... what's a spong?
      It's a brand name TS see .......... spong runner bean slicers | eBay

As I recall from my youth these only work well on young beans as the opening is only about 20mm & edge trimming has to be done with a sharp knife prior to slicing
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

^wot he said, this looks like the one I found...
        VINTAGE SPONG MEAT/VEG MINCER, 3 Cutters, Suction Base | eBay

Comment

Most food processors have slicing attachment. Mine does, but i never use it as its too much faffing about.. I prefer to do a couple of pounds at a time, picked and frozen withing hours of picking.
          Roger
          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            It's a brand name TS
            Well then, tsk .... it should have a capital S I've never heard of them, and nothing came up on a Google, until I put in Spong mincer
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I always string beans. It is just a habit, and I would find it difficult not to.

I find the best way of preserving runner beans is salting.

valmarg

Comment

which breings me to my next question, how do you do that? A glazed earthenware pot? how much salt between the layers? Do you slice the beans finely or leave in chunks?

Comment

Sorry I've taken a while to answer. I have to confess I've only tried to do them once, and they went mouldy. Why I recommend them Is that my dad used to do them, and we used to have them on Christmas Day, rather than sprouts, and they were as good as the ones we are going to have today.

I have an old Good Housekeeping recipe which recommends 1lb of salt to every 3lb of beans. The container should be a jar made of glass, unglazed stone or earthenware, and ordinary cooking salt should be used NOT table salt (which contains an anti-caking additive, and which is why my beans went mouldy).

My dad used to do them in large coffee jars. He used to slice them, as he would for cooking (ie quite thinly). Put a layer of salt in the container, then a layer of beans, and continue with alternate layers until the jar is full, pressing each layer of beans well down and finishing with a layer of salt. It is important to use plenty of salt, otherwise the beans will not keep well. Cover the jar and leave it for a few days, after which the beans will have shrunk, leaving room for more beans and salt; once again be sure to finish with a layer of salt. Cover the jar and leave in a cool dry place.

To cook salted beans, remove as many beans as will be required and wash them thoroughly in cold water. If desired, they may be soaked for 1-2 hours in warm water, to extract more of the salt. Place beans in boiling unsalted water and cook.

Believe me they are well worth the effort.

My niece visited us recently, and she talked about the days when she was 'grandad's little helper' when he salted the beans. I'll have to ring her to ask what she remembers of the recipe/method.

valmarg

Comment

You are all luck to have any to slice, this is the second year I have tried growing them but the flowers just drop off. Result no beans again and I love them
                    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Oh dear, I feel really sorry for you. If OH doesn't produce a good bean row his life is a bit miserable.

Two things that could affect them is (a) being too dry, they do like warm humid weather, and the other (b) a lot of sparrows in the area - they like nothing better than to pick off the flowers.

If (a) you need to water them, the best way it to use a soak hose in the middle of the row and let the water gently seep into the soil.

If (b) try growing white flowered varieties such as White Lady. It is the red flowered varieties they attack, and seem to leave the white flowered alone.

We alll have good years and bad years, but I hope you'll persevere.

Good luck.

valmarg

Comment

I have tried scarlet something the usual one and white lady. Its is frustrating as I watched big fat bees going into flowers doing their bit then the next day flowers on the floor urghhhhhh
                        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

I do string mine and I use my grandmother's spong beanslicer. I spent many happy summer's in her kitchen turning the handle as did my boys when they were little, lets hope when they have children it'll still be going strong!

oohhhh happy chilhood memories, she always made loads of preserves her kitchen always smelt wonderful. Maybe that's why I love making preserves now......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X