Sloe jelly (jam)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Did anyone make this? I'm going to have a go this week, but feel a bit daunted at the large amount of sloes in it - M.Patten only puts 100g in hers (with 2lb apples). My maths is rubbish, but I think that means the first recipe has 5 times as much
    100grams versus 1kg (1000g) means ten times as much. Seems adrift. Do you think it could be a typo somewhere?
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I plan on making a 'nearly all sloes' version with the next batch of sloes we pick. Will let you know!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
        Thank you
        Hey Chrissy - it's a shame you don't use Twitter as you have just had a mention #tooposhtoretweet
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Did anyone make this? I'm going to have a go this week, but feel a bit daunted at the large amount of sloes in it - M.Patten only puts 100g (4oz?) in hers (with 2lb apples).
          I make mine 50 / 50 and it's lovely, really dark and beautiful although the juice will stain like crazy if you get it on anything

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I would have done, but a friendly, helpful chap cut down the hawthorn (as he described it) bush.

Haven't found any in the wild around me yet..

Comment

This area seem overrun with sloes this year, we have picked at least 11lbs, some has gone into sloe gin, some is in the wine-bucket, and the rest will be made into jelly, with a LOT more sloes than apples (mainly crab apples, it's a good year for those around here too).

Comment

feel a bit daunted at the large amount of sloes in it
                Well, it was fine, really nice

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                I make mine 50 / 50
                Then I felt brave enough to do Alison's 50/50, and that's even nicer
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Have made a sloe-jelly using about 2/3 sloes 1/3 apples (mainly crab). Lovely set, deep red colour, delish with cold meat or cheese. Not suited to being used as jam, being a bit astringent.

Comment

There are loads of sloes and bullaces around here this year. Don't forget, freeze them in 1lb bags for use next year. I love sloe jelly too.

I've already got sloe gin and sloe vodka on the go, not ever made sloe wine, is it worth it?

Going out to forage next weekend for more sloes and crab apples, need more sloe jelly for this next year, it's so full of zing.
                    Sylvianne

Get back to the earth, learn to grow your own future

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                      Have made a sloe-jelly using about 2/3 sloes 1/3 apples (mainly crab). Lovely set, deep red colour, delish with cold meat or cheese. Not suited to being used as jam, being a bit astringent.
                      I'm tempted to make some, but don't want to waste my time with something nobody will eat. I don't want something that's too tart.

Does the taste compare with, say, cranberry jelly?

Comment

The original recipe isn't tart at all (top of this thread). It's lovely
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It's not sharp, it has a subtle tanninish flavour that goes well as a condiment.

Comment

Okay, thanks. I think 'they' might like it, so I'll give it a go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X