No announcement yet.

Storing Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read if your storing them in the ground u need to protect them with a few inches of straw or some fleece of some kind to protect them from frost. I was thinking if you leave the green foliage on would it end up rotting the carrots from the top down.

I know u can store spuds in the ground for a while by cutting the foliage off. Wondered if it was the same for carrots. I guess if no one knows I will cut foliage off half and leave the other half & see how it goes.
    My little site

Comment

You honestly don't need to do anything, the tops die down anyway and that doesn't cause any rotting of the carrots at all. I always grow mine under enviromesh and leave that on over the winter too which provides a bit of protection but I still got decent carrots keeping the winter before last when it was the coldest we'd had in years. The only problem was that I had to chisel the top section of the soil to break through the frost. Slugs and snails were not a problem either, they didn't do any damage despite there always being loads on the lottie, they always prefer the fresh green shoots rather than hard roots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I left mine in the ground last year, through most of the winter, I was even seen digging carrots up
        at half eight at night on Christmas eve (for the reindeers you understand )
        The question being asked about leaving the tops on...... I left the tops on and the tops just die back,
        It does not effect the carrots.
        All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X