Orange Marmalade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raine View Post
    hi , I'm having trouble this year. have made it before using the whole orange method but this yr the set is not as good. I think that its because on my new cooker i cant heat it enought to reach 220- the rings regulate themselves. Ive tried substituting half the sugar with jam sugar but its still hit and miss. Any ideas?
    Setting point is a matter of sugar-water ratio. You just keep boiling it until the water content is reduced enough. If the cooker insists on simmering, this might take a long time, but it should get there in the end.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Quick question....

I have no muslin to wrap the bits of orange in... will a clean cotton teatowel do the job just as well??

Comment

I made some using the more lengthy recipe in the River Cottage recipe book and it's gorgeous. Says in the recipe that it'll last 2 years and I see no reason why not.

Had to be made over two days but day one consisted of cutting the oranges in half, squeezing the juice out and then slicing the peel to required thickness (pith and all). This was then soaked in water and the orange juice overnight. Day two involved putting all that lot in a jam pan, adding sugar (it said demarara but I didn't have enough so did half and half with normal granulated) and lemon juice and taking up to setting point. Then leaving to cool for ten minutes before jarring so that the shred doesn't sink. Really easy and soooo tasty with the only bit that's wasted being the pips.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
          Quick question....

I have no muslin to wrap the bits of orange in... will a clean cotton teatowel do the job just as well??
          I use any old rags I have - cotton work shirts, old t shirts, as long as its clean I dont see why not

Comment

I use Sevilles and half and half brown and white sugar - because we like the dark marmalade. If I run out later in the year I make what we call St Clements - oranges and lemons. The lemons add the sharpness that's missing from a sweet orange. I usually leave the pith on. To me a touch of bitterness is what distinguishes a good marmalade from a shop bought sugar-fest marmalade. (I also like Guiness!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Someone from our local radio station read the vine, and I am going to be talking about Marmalade making on there tomorrow (Saturday). FAME AT LAST!!!!

Comment

Ooh, which one? I wonder if I can listen on-line. Well done you
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Just to make you smile, I had the opportunity to buy an 18kg box of seville orange from a wholesaler which I was then going to split with somebody. The somebody changed their mind, I know have 18kg of oranges to use - that is one heck of a lot of marmalade!!!!!

To be honest I think I'm going to freeze some for use at a later date.

Also going to try an orange liquer recipe for Christmas pressies, but this doesn't use too many of the blighters.
                  Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
                    I know have 18kg of oranges to use - that is one heck of a lot of marmalade!!!!!
                    I made 20 x 8oz jars out of 1.5kg of oranges... you'll be drowning in marmalade!!

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                      I made 20 x 8oz jars out of 1.5kg of oranges... you'll be drowning in marmalade!!
                      Precisely

If I can't make marmalade after this I'll give up. Having said that I did have problems getting my last batch to set so have stocked up on Certo
                      Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                        Ooh, which one? I wonder if I can listen on-line. Well done you
                        Radio Wiltshire. It will be on 'listen again' (bbc.co.uk/wiltshire) for about a week. The time was 12.10 UK time (13.10 French time), part of Mark O'Donell's show.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
                          Precisely

If I can't make marmalade after this I'll give up. Having said that I did have problems getting my last batch to set so have stocked up on Certo
                          Keep the sugar below 2lb per lb of fruit, make sure the fruit is really well cooked before adding the sugar, and keep boiling until it DOES set. There is no reason to need any assistance with setting if you follow that!

Comment

I have just got into foraging and preserving and made Marmalade for the first time this year. I used the recipe out of River Cottage Preserves book and am well pleased with the outcome. To answer the question on how long does it last, well if yours turns out like mine. not too long. No seriously the RC book suggests 2 years but you must have a good seal.

Comment

ChrisB....here are a couple of other recipes using seville oranges...

Seville orange recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Food and drink | Life and style | The Guardian

I particularly fancy the curd one!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have just made 6 jars of marmalade - waiting for it to set now. Very excited to try it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X