No announcement yet.

Lidl - Electric Fruit Preserver & Jam Maker

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the LIDL advert and video (when you don't have a TV you'll watch anything that moves!) - that Gadget looks enormous. Storage space? How do you clean it out? I think I'd fall in and never be seen again Not for me!!

Comment

It looks like it would be great for bottling tomatoes and pasteurising apple juice etc. If I didn't already have the pressure canner I'd probably get one.

Comment

It can make 27l of hot chocolate and still I'm not convinced! :-)

I don't think it's for me. I would like an easy peasy way of making jam but that's not it.

Comment

I've got something remarkably similar to that which I use for pasturising juices and bottles of tomatoes etc. I don't think you're meant to make jam acutually IN it but it would pasturise a low sugar jam OK for preserving. Mine is huge but I'd rather have that (which I keep in the loft when not in use) than have to buy a new freezer to store all my passata rather than in jars in the cupboard as I do now

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The easy-peasy way to make jam is to have a very good, heavy-base maslin pan and use Jam sugar, which has added pectin and achieves a set after only about 4 minutes of boiling.

Comment

I just saw this on the Lidl site today, and I thought I would get one, not for Jam as I dont think it gets hot enough!
              I thought it would be useful as a drink dispenser when I do my First Aid courses.
              It is cheaper than a regular Urn, and the video showing 5 Gallons of hot chocolate does make it appealing.
              My other thought was that with it's variable temperature it would be great for brewing Beer.
              Has anyone used one of these?

Comment

That sounds like a good idea... My only thought is, how would you let the CO2 escape, without allowing nasties in? It probably isn't designed to hold much pressure. Or would you just get a mash going and then transfer it to a bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  That sounds like a good idea... My only thought is, how would you let the CO2 escape, without allowing nasties in? It probably isn't designed to hold much pressure. Or would you just get a mash going and then transfer it to a bucket?
                  Yes, thats the idea, keep the barley at the right temperatures to extract all the sugars and then transfer to a fermentation bucket.
                  I bought some enzymes from the states (still can't find them here) so I can try other starchy ingredients too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X