Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fist Food Breakfast Flapjack To Die For......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fist Food Breakfast Flapjack To Die For......

To be perfectly honest, you're in a rush to get to work, you haven't got time for a bowl of cereal, you hate porridge, and your better half has got better things to do than slave over a hot stove cooking you an enormous fry-up at 'the crack of sparrow f@rt'....
    But then you find, mid-morning, that you could eat a horse, and you can't concentrate, because you've got this enormous empty hole in your Tum.

(Health Warning: It has Pumpkin Seeds in, which could increase your Libido - so don't say I didn't warn you...?!)

This recipe is so, so simple, it's a pleasure to make:

Makes 18 bars. Prep time: 15 mins. Cooking time: 20 mins.

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4. Line a 24cm square baking tin with baking parchment.

Put 100g each of sunflower, sesame & pumpkin seeds into a large bowl, with 200g of your own choice of semi-dried cranberries, blueberries, apricots, dates, sultanas, currants (believe me - the world is indeed your oyster here?!). Add to this 100g of porridge oats (gluten-free if needs must, like me) 2 tablesps. soft brown sugar, 1 tsp. ground cumin seeds, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground coriander. Mix this incredibly well together.

Put 397g condensed milk and 150g butter into a separate bowl, and place over a pan of gently simmering water. Melt these together until well-blended and hot (about 15 minutes?)

Stir the butter mixture into the fruit and seed mixture, and thoroughly combine.

Spoon the mixture into the tin and pack down lightly with the back of a spoon.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until slightly golden.
    Remove from the oven, cool and cut into bars.

Simples. And I hope you really enjoy them.X
    Last edited by wellie; 14-11-2009, 10:49 AM. Reason: CONDENSED MILK & BUTTER QUANTITIES (Thanks Hazel!)

Originally posted by wellie View Post

Put the condensed milk and butter into a separate bowl, and place over a pan of gently simmering water.
    How much condensed milk & butter??

And if you could post your delicious recipes before I do the weekly shopping next time. Thank you.
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 13-11-2009, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Oops! All sorted now (see edited post above), and definitely worth shopping for next week Haze! X

Comment

Wellie, that sounds delicious

Comment

Yum Yum

May consider trying these for my daughter's packed lunch, as cereal bars, even the good ones, are sooo dear!

Comment

The flapjacks are on the side cooling just now. They look good and by golly they smell good. When the word gets round I should get plenty of visitors today lol

Comment

Brengirl, I'm sorry I didn't read your post early enough to pass on this piece of advice, but you should definitely, definitely, pick bits off the flapjack and eat as it is cooling in the tin. Do it next time! Understood?!

I agree: Bought Energy/Breakfast Bars are costly, and if you find a nice recipe that you like, it's dead nicer to make them yourself, as you know what has gone into them, at least! but I think the beauty is that you can 'design them' yourself, as to what ingredients you have in your cupboard/what you want or need to use up? (dates, dates, dates - knee deep in dates!) and the texture of the original recipe is divine - proper flapjack, not crispy. Ooh! don't get me going!

Have fun kids.X
              Last edited by wellie; 15-11-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

thanks for this Wellie, made them yesterday and they're fab
                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hans Mum - glad you've enjoyed them. Trousers and I have now finished the first batch that I made, so I shall be having another go tomorrow with a different selection of dried fruits.
                  In fact I was away from home the last few days and crumbled my last breakfast bar into a large pot of raspberry bio yogurt there this morning. Wow! Mmmm!

Comment

i made a 2nd lot for work peeps & they went down a storm, I got some mixed seeds from Lidl 79p for 175g & used a mix of dates/apricots/prunes, they'll all be very regular this weekend
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hans Mum, We'll see how popular you are when you next see them, shall we?!
                      It kind of brings a new meaning to your online signature: 'The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies...'

Are you clever enough to work out an approximate calorie count for each bar?
                      I worry that Trousers has given up smoking, and is on ten bars a day now!
                      Kidding, obviously.X

Comment

OMG!!!! ..that sounds absolutely delish Wellie!!!

...darn..I have everything but condensed milk!!!..but it's on the shopping list for January!!...looking forward to trying it out!
                        Last edited by Nicos; 22-11-2009, 10:22 PM.
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just got the condensed milk! I haven't bought any for a while and was surprised to see a 'Light' version - haven't compared calorific value with the normal sort - but it might help!
                          Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                          So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Comfreyfan, I share that sentiment, and I did buy the Lite Condensed Milk for the second batch. It appears to be 'thinner', so I'll report back if it adversely affect the flappy that remotely makes Trousers suspect that I've 'Doctored' it! And Thank You for that. X.

Nicos!..... Big Big Hugs Angel.XXX (We MUST meet one day?!) If you PM me your address, I will send you a tin of Condensed Milk as an early Christmas Present! As you will need to make these flapjacks and keep them in reserve for anytime that you need the services of those gorgeous Pompiers....X

Comment

Nicos!!!! Fear not - condensed milk is sold in all French supermarkets, it's the usual Nestle brand but called Lait Concentré, or something along those lines.

Back in the summer I sent my neighbour into raptures by making her some fudge using a can of condensed milk.

Enjoy!

BTW, my sweet potatoes were a total failure!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X