No announcement yet.

Fruit Leather

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ollie - another divergent (if curmudgeonly) thinker! The instruction booklet talks about vegetable leathers too but no particular varieties - just 'fresh or canned'. The base of the dehydrator is flat and you just line it with the parchment and pour the pulp onto this like self-levelling floor screed! I couldn't figure out how to cut the parchment into a circle that would fit so I left it in a torn off rectangle - it needed to come up the sides a bit to hold the pulp. Then the dehydrator dries it out slowly. You can do this with baking sheets in the oven if you are up for leaving the oven on low for hours.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Usually I'm not an advocate of chewing leather (Bean has a habit of chewing mummy's rather expensive handbag, or daddy's expensive wallet).

This could be the answer!

*goes off to goggle at google*
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        Hi Ollie - another divergent (if curmudgeonly) thinker! The instruction booklet talks about vegetable leathers too but no particular varieties - just 'fresh or canned'. The base of the dehydrator is flat and you just line it with the parchment and pour the pulp onto this like self-levelling floor screed! I couldn't figure out how to cut the parchment into a circle that would fit so I left it in a torn off rectangle - it needed to come up the sides a bit to hold the pulp. Then the dehydrator dries it out slowly. You can do this with baking sheets in the oven if you are up for leaving the oven on low for hours.
        Might be giving this a try then. How deep do you fill it with the puree? And do you think teflon sheets would do, or greaseproof?
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

How thick are the teflon sheets? I haven't used them. My dehydrator cut out and I think it was because it was too close to the puree as my parchment was a bit wrinkled - so I put an empty rack in over the top. Depth of the puree - 1-2 millimetres roughly. It may be that you could spread the puree on a disc which fits the base exactly but you need a mixture that won't spread. Greaseproof should do I would have thought, given the caveat above.

Comment

How thick are the teflon sheets? I haven't used them. My dehydrator cut out and I think it was because it was too close to the puree as my parchment was a bit wrinkled - so I put an empty rack in over the top. Depth of the puree - 1-2 millimetres roughly. It may be that you could spread the puree on a disc which fits the base exactly but you need a mixture that won't spread. Greaseproof should do I would have thought, given the caveat above.
            "caveat" is a lovely, useful word.

teflon sheets are about as thick as 2 or 3 greaseproof sheets or a sheet of good quality writing paper.
            Theyre designed for baking so that you dont have to scrape your food off a tray, you can just peel the sheet off the bottom and it wipes clean (think you can even put them in a dishwasher). I've not used one before either, but I got a pack in a Chr*stmas stocking a few years ago and never got round to using them.

Will give some of this a go over the weekend.
            Last edited by OllieMartin; 30-10-2009, 12:18 PM.
            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
              "caveat" is a lovely, useful word.

teflon sheets are about as thick as 2 or 3 greaseproof sheets or a sheet of good quality writing paper.
              Theyre designed for baking so that you dont have to scrape your food off a tray, you can just peel the sheet off the bottom and it wipes clean (think you can even put them in a dishwasher). I've not used one before either, but I got a pack in a Chr*stmas stocking a few years ago and never got round to using them.

Will give some of this a go over the weekend.
              Are these the same things that almost everyone on any cookery programme at the moment is using to make twill biscuits?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                Are these the same things that almost everyone on any cookery programme at the moment is using to make twill biscuits?
                erm, not sure, but im going to go with...yes.

unless they're not the same, it which case...no.

Comment

erm, not sure, but im going to go with...yes.

unless they're not the same, it which case...no.
                  Are you at least sure?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Are you at least sure?
                    I'm 100% certain (which equates to a 1,000,000% if you're a politician) that one of those two answers is correct.

Oh...unless it's "maybe"

...or "sometimes".
                    Last edited by OllieMartin; 30-10-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I'm 100% certain (which equates to a 1,000,000% if you're a politician) that one of those two answers is correct.

Oh...unless it's "maybe"

...or "sometimes".
                      I have a friend you can phone.

No wait. They're engaged.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

As a slightly more helpful response to your question. They look like this:

Mine are this exact brand:
                        Last edited by OllieMartin; 30-10-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Ah, the ones I've seen look like this:

It would appear that they're silcone rather than teflon. So not the ones you're talking about.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Ah, the ones I've seen look like this:

It would appear that they're silcone rather than teflon. So not the ones you're talking about.
                            Hmm, I wonder how their application differs.

Comment

Just to quote my good friend Hey Wayne here

I think we are onto a culinary idea here folks - the tuile biscuits are just a very thin biscuit batter mix baked till crisp - the leathers are just a thin fruit or veggie puree, dried till chewy. Now how can we use these to embellish another fruit / veggie dish?

Comment

Just to quote my good friend Hey Wayne here

I think we are onto a culinary idea here folks - the tuile biscuits are just a very thin biscuit batter mix baked till crisp - the leathers are just a thin fruit or veggie puree, dried till chewy. Now how can we use these to embellish another fruit / veggie dish?
                                Tuile (thank you for that) fruit leather! Genius.

Someone phone Dragon's Den!

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X