Have I got this the wrong way round?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I got this the wrong way round?

Since I've been looking at all these lovely recipes I'm changing my growing plans for next year...

Whereas I was thinking...

'I should grow a few less cukes/toms/chillis/everything else next year'

I'm now thinking...

'I need to grow LOADS more cukes/toms/chillis/everything else next year'.

I'm thinking about growing things I hadn't even considered before JUST so I can preserve them!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Personally I think growing for exactly what you have in mind for the kitchen is a great idea... even more so if your recipes call for ingredients that aren't so available in shops.

It makes far more sense to grow in a way you'll use rather than have a glut of something you'll preserve and never get through.

It would make LOADS of sense for me to grow potatoes by the ton as we eat LOADS of the things. It would make far less sense to grow cucumbers as it's not something any of use really go in for. I've got every intention of letting what I want to eat dictate what I grow. In fact - I'm going to go back over my Garden Organic order and take a few things out that I was going to order just to grow them and move more towards what I want to eat.

Comment

I love making jams and chutneys and wine and, and, and...so i get what you mean. i kindof feel the same to be honest. i also made a whole load of jar stuff for family andfriends as c'mas presents for this year so i will definately be trying to do the same next year.

the only difference for me is that i now have a better idea of what will be ready when so i should be a bit less stressed trying to get it all used up at the one time!

Comment

Last year I grew lots of Toms just because I wanted the make green tomato chutney, I've still a a fair few jars left so this time I only needed to grow 6 tomato plants.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X