Mother Natures Store Cupboard.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother Natures Store Cupboard.

My neighbor and me have had a rather "Fruitful" morning today foraging in the countryside around where we live, between us we've picked...27lb of blackberries, 16lb of rowans, 30+lb of crab apples, just short of 20lb of sloe berries and 13lb of elderberries, not bad for a morning's work. Now what to do with them all, we're making jam's & jellies, stewing some for the freezer's and the all important thing...Wine.
    What I was wondering, has anyone got any more idea's & has anyone got a good Dry cider recipe for the crab apple's (about 20lb). Very much appreciated. Thanks.

Wow! That is a haul and a half!

I picked similar stuff this weekend, just in smaller quantities

I picked about 8lb of Elderberries and am making a gallon of wine and a gallon of port which leaves me with about 2lb. I am very interested in Pontack Sauce and have also used Elderberries in Jellies with Blackberries and crab apples.

I have about 10lb sloes (I already have a gallon of sloe wine fermenting) so will probably do a litre of sloe gin (sainsbury's basics gin is cheapest apparently). I also intend on doing some Jam/Jelly.

Blackberries a similar story though only about 4 or 5lb! I have a gallon of wine going and will be doing Jam/Jelly and Probably this chutney: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ney_38227.html

With regards to your crab apples, using them in jellies is an obvious avenue. However from what I can gather you need some other apples with crab apples to make a drinkable cider. However I did come across this recipe (3rd post):

JIM'S BEER KIT: HOMEBREW FORUM • View topic - crab apple cider

I made some rowanberry jelly and I found it a bit tarte. I suspect it would be nice stirred into a gravy for going with game meat though.

I am intending on doing a hedgerow jelly with a mix of the blackberries, sloes, elderberries and crab apples.

If I think of anything else i will let you know
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Thanks for that Mr D, I think I'll try the hedgerow jelly & the crab apple cider, with regard to the" cheep gin" do you have an ALDI near you, they do a cheep gin & it's great for sloe gin, I'm also doing blackberry vodka with there cheep vodka...Hic.

Comment

No Aldi close to me They closed the nearest one and opened another one further away

Blackberry Vodka sounds very interesting - do you need many blackberries for it? I might just pick up a cheapo bottle of vodka!

Comment

We made blackberry vodka the other day - to be honest a handful, handful and a half in a full sized bottle is all we used. Amazing how quickly the vodka changed colour and the berries went white. Can't wait... last year's black currant voddie went down a treat.

Comment

Have you tried sloe vodka...now that is yummy, make it the same as you do the gin also very yummy.
            Mmmmm.... I feel there's a theme going on here.

Comment

O, forgot to mention "Netto" have a 75ml bottle of gin for £7.99, now that is a bargin.

Comment

Yes, sloe vodka and 2 variations on blackberry vodka are colouring up nicely

Comment

picked plenty of elderberries and just got the river cottage preserves book...think i might try that pontack sauce!!

How big are Sloe's? are they quite small? there's a bush near ours and they are quite small at the minute...but i want to beat the birds!!
                  Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
                  Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
                  Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X