No announcement yet.

Urgent help pease!!!....loads of scum!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help pease!!!....loads of scum!

I've just taken my plum jam off it's rolling boil to ask for urgent advice please!!!!
    As usual I've put a knob of butter in my jam ....but this time I've got about 1" of scum on top of my jam....I've never made plum jam before so is this usual- even with the butter?
    It's only sugar, fruit and a knob of butter- why such a big head of scum??
    Do I really have to scoop it all off- what would happen if I just left it with the rest of the jam- is it more likely to go mouldy- or is it just suggested to make it look prettier????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Update....I had to continue.....so.....
    when I'd got back to the jam, the scum had almost gone ( about 10 mins) so I started up with the rolling boil- and it never returned...how bizzare is that????...

Maybe I've just discovered a trick of the trade...or my jam is doomed...doomed Mr Mainwairing

What do ya reckon?????

Comment

I recently made jam (blackcurrant) for the first time and this happened to me, the knobs of butter did nothing so I sterilized a spoon and scooped off as much as I could. Didn't know if that was normal or not. But the jam was delicious (and a little buttery!)

Comment

Scum is just bubbles so it does disappear if left. Personally I can't stand it buttery (I only have a tiny smidgen of butter on my bread) and don't worry too much about the scum, they only suggest you removing it to make it look prettier, I never bother and it doesn't look bad and my family and friends say they still like getting my jam so it can't be that bad.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Scum is just bubbles so it does disappear if left. Personally I can't stand it buttery (I only have a tiny smidgen of butter on my bread) and don't worry too much about the scum, they only suggest you removing it to make it look prettier, I never bother and it doesn't look bad and my family and friends say they still like getting my jam so it can't be that bad.
          When there is a LOT of scum, sometimes that is where most of the pectin is.....
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            When there is a LOT of scum, sometimes that is where most of the pectin is.....
            ...so it should have set better having been left there then?? Yip Yip!!!

Comment

So Hilary, is it better to skim it off or leave it as it is?

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I was going to suggest calling The Fire Brigade Angel, but I reckoned that you'd not finish your Jam Making if I did.....!
                I'm sorry that I can't be of help. I made Plum Jam about five years ago. It set beautifully, but turned mouldy on the top, so what help would I be to you eh?!
                Hope it all turns out lovely. X

Comment

I'm still convinced it's mainly asthetic and I don't want to waste a load by over enthusiastic skimming so it stays for me - not quite the question you asked but never mind!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Should your jam go mouldy, just skim off the green and eat the rest (hasn't killed me yet)
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

That's exactly what I've done Shirley Girlie, and it's not killed me neither. X

Comment

Update...

My jam is very sweet- I'm now wondering if my taste buds are becoming less sweet- I really think UK sugar is sweeter than French sugar! ( something to do with the processing?????)

and welllies suggestion??.....oh yum * faint!!!!

Comment

my jam sometimes goes moldy on top even when in the fridge what cause's this do you put the lid on the jam when it is hot or do you allow it to cool first it's never hurt me but not so good if you give some away

Comment

I always like to put my lids on when very hot. This creates a vacuum, so the mould does not grow. I have not had any problems.

This does cause a problem with whole fruit jam like strawberry as the fruit goes to the surface. This should be allowed to cool before putting on the lids.

If you sterilise the jars and lids before hand you should not have a problem. A wax disk may also prevent mould for you.

Comment

Originally posted by winstonwobble View Post
                              my jam sometimes goes moldy on top even when in the fridge what cause's this do you put the lid on the jam when it is hot or do you allow it to cool first it's never hurt me but not so good if you give some away

Condensation leads to mould. If the lid goes on really hot jam, there are no mould-spores, so it doesn't go mouldy. If the lid goes on when really cold, no condensation, so it is usually OK.
                              If the lid goes on warm, anything can happen. The sugar content should prevent harmful bacteria in the middle, but if you get condensation, the top can go mouldy.
                              If you open a jar, use some, then put the lid back and put it in the fridge, there WILL be condensation. Mould grows slowly at fridge temps, but it still can develop. If you feel that it needs keeping in the fridge, get it to fridge temperature before putting the lid on; this may help (but no guarantees).
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X