Pears

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
    LOL... thanks WeekEndWellies... There's also PW's "Sticky" at the top of this section. But are you being ironic when you say "suitably easy" as this version has you boiling the pears for SIX HOURS!! b.

No irony intended, hun.
    I think I would do them on a slow cook in the oven along with a pot roast or something of that nature to save on the fuel. but it did seem easy as far as labour goes. Prepare em quick and cook em.
    If I find any more 'easy' recipes I will post em.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post

No irony intended, hun.
      OK, fair enough, well-cooked pears it is! b.

Comment

I eventually turned my pears into wine, which is now bubbling away merrily on the windowsill in the kitchen. I already have stacks of chutney - spicy peach, apple and plum, green tomato and Christmas chutney as well as red onion marmalade. To make another variety seemed a bit superfluous.

Comment

Well, thankyou for all the ideas! Slow cooking sounds good, even at this time of year I still have a supply of very hard pears on the go!!! I also fancy the idea of wine!!!! Whatch this space! Many many thanks to all x I did attempt to make the vanilla and pear jam in the supplement of GYO, yummy but very very runny, I used jam sugar but setting was still a probleThanks guys, appreciated x
          http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Spiced Pickled Pears.

Eight llbs.(Sorry, I can't do litres!) cooking pears,

Four lbs. white sugar,
            Two pints malt vinegar
            Thinly peeled rind of one lemon,
            Half an ounce each of cloves and allspice,
            Small piece each of root ginger and cinnamon stick,

Put sugar in a large pan with vinegar and dissolve over a gentle heat.Put lemon rind, cloves, allspice, ginger and cinnamon in a bit of muslin and add to pan.
            Peel, quarter and coe pears, putting them in salted water as you go to prevent them going brown.
            When all done rinse well and add to pan. Cover and cook gently until pears are tender (abot 20-30 mins.)
            Take out pears with a slotted spoon and put in warm, sterilised jars. Boil the liquid in the pan until it is a thin syrup and pour over pears while still hot.
            Seal jars with a vinegar-proof lid and cool. Leave for at least a month before using.
            Nice with cold meats.
            (Recipe taken from an ancient book that has lost it's covers so I can't attribute it to anyone!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X