Jam or toffee ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jam or toffee ?

My first attempt at jam is looking and smelling more like toffee. Will it also taste like toffee, what did i do wrong, the recipe said it was really easy to make. However it also said to boil for 10 mins to get to setting point and i had to boil for nearly an hour!

Sounds like you might have burnt it , if you have it'll taste ..YUK . What fruit did you use??
    Did you use jam sugar?
    Last edited by ginger ninger; 02-09-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

That sounds like you've cooked it for long enough to caramalise the sugar and make toffee. What fruit where you using?

Comment

Fruity toffee can be quite nice. It should still taste of the fruit (if the fruit was a strong flavoured one, eg plum). I think you must have carried on cooking past the proper setting point, or burnt the sugar (perhaps only slightly).
        If it will spread, taste it on a bit of bread. If not, carve a lump out of the jar and taste that. Only you can decide whether you like the result.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

A jar of toffee sounds like a perfect result to me, yum yum.

Comment

ooops!, if it isnt too burnt, you could if its solid!! make balls or cubes of it and call it "(name of fuit here) Cheese" and serve it rolled in sugar or chocolate, as a "petit four".
            Last edited by ohbeary; 03-09-2009, 12:47 PM.
            Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Yep, you've caramelised the sugar. It will taste of toffee. I can't say that I think that's a bad thing! If it spreads, you're ok. If it's really toffee, mind your fillings!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X