Help I've made Beetroot Champange instead of chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I've made Beetroot Champange instead of chutney

Can someone let me know what I have done wrong. I picked up a Beetroot Chutney receipe from here three weeks ago and two of my jars have blown. To clean up the jar I removed the lids and it was like Etna with beetroot and fizzy juice. The beetroot has becme lighter also and there is acidic taste.

I have one remaining jar that has not been affetced.

didn't you sterilise the jars?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It sounds like the recipe was short on sugar and/or vinegar. You can get recipes for 'quick chutneys' but they should be kept in the fridge and used within a week or so becasue they don't have the ingredients in to allow them to be kept. In an case, your jars have fermented. Sterilising the jars in the oven is always a good idea, not just because there will be no wild yeasts there to get the stuff going, but because the chutney can then be potted when it's boiling hot and sealed at once. This also helps to ensure it doesn't ferment. Did you let it go cold before sealing?
      Even so, enough sugar and vinegar should kill a yeast off. Puzzle, that. Maybe I should look up the recipe?
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I sterilised my jars by washing them and then microwaving for 90 seconds.

Recipe was basically Beetroot, Onions, Apples, Brown Sugar, Cider Vinegar and some other bits. Hot into the jars. I did make a small batch vinegar and sugar solution when it had cooled down as I thought that there was not enough liquid in the jars to cover the beetroot and could cause problems in the future.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X