Crab apple jelly?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab apple jelly?

Just boiled a full panful of crab apples last night, and after allowing them to strain through enviromesh all night I only have about a cup full of juice..........is this right?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

How much water did you put with them Snadger?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      How much water did you put with them Snadger?
      A cupful..............which is what I got out!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just checked my recipe books: Food from your Garden (Reader's Digest) says 6 lb of crab apples to 4 pints of water. River Cottage Handbook says 2 kilos fruit to 1 litre of water, and says you should get 1.2 litres of juice from this. If I were you I would bung the apple pulp back in a pan and add more water, simmer for a bit and repeat the straining. You can then add the juice from this to the juice you've already got. Setting shouldn't be a problem - apples are high in pectin, or you could add lemon juice.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Just checked my recipe books: Food from your Garden (Reader's Digest) says 6 lb of crab apples to 4 pints of water. River Cottage Handbook says 2 kilos fruit to 1 litre of water, and says you should get 1.2 litres of juice from this. If I were you I would bung the apple pulp back in a pan and add more water, simmer for a bit and repeat the straining. You can then add the juice from this to the juice you've already got. Setting shouldn't be a problem - apples are high in pectin, or you could add lemon juice.
          Thats good to know RL! I shall do as you suggest. Now I know it's a feasible proposition I've just been out and picked a black Netto's carrier bag.......... full. Could hardly carry them home.................remided me of scrumping when I was a young un, although that was usually under the cover of darkness!
          Getting a bit auld for climbing apple trees now but still think I'll make a return visit once I get these weighed and processed!

PS These are fair game btw and are in a local wooded area!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I put a pint of water to 2lb of crab apples. You can always do a second boiling with crabs as they are full of pectin. I use half the original amount, so half a pint of water per 2lb for the second boiling. Mix the juices together.

You never get much juice for jellies compared to what you get when making jam. However, with crab apples if you peeled and cored them there'd be nowt at all!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

NEED a bigger pan!!!!!!!!!!!

This boiling in smaller quantities (1.25Kg at a time) is doing my head in!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

A jam pan is a must. You can sometimes pick them up in charity shops - not at this time of year though mebbe?

Comment

What's everyone think of my new use for enviromesh? I searched all over for a jelly bag for straining to no avail.............apart from having to have one delivered from eBay!

Went to Garden centre and bought one running metre off roll (actually 2M X 1M) for £2.99.. Being nylon it's practically indestructible and appears to have exactly the mesh size I require, especially when doubled!
                  Gaffer taped it onto an upturned stool and it's perfect.

Has the added advantage that once I've finished with this years straining I can take it to the allotment and protect my cops with it!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Probably ok doubled. The proof will be in how clear your jelly is!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      Probably ok doubled. The proof will be in how clear your jelly is!

Ahhhhhh!!...............

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        The proof will be in how clear your jelly is!
                        Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Ahhhhhh!!...............
                        LOL, don't get freaked by talk of "clear jelly", Snadger, as the perfect answer was on a GYO thread a while back, see
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...icing_576.html

After reading that (back in 2006!) and faced with masses of surplus fruit to do something useful with I got hold of one of these continental "steamer juicer" gadgets and they are f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c for producing clear jelly without any straining at all. The purpose-made gadgets are quite pricey but the steaming principle is really quite straightforward so next time you're doing this you may be able to borrow or share one or improvise the principles involved. b.

Comment

I just use a linen tea-cloth. Turn a stool upside down and tie the cloth to the legs (firmly!) then I peg the sides so it's deep in the middle. Takes loads of fruit and strains well overnight
                          What is this life, if full of care,
                          We have no time to stand and stare
                          . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by LilyRose View Post
                            I just use a linen tea-cloth. Turn a stool upside down and tie the cloth to the legs (firmly!) then I peg the sides so it's deep in the middle. Takes loads of fruit and strains well overnight
                            Keep it simple eh! The Americans spent billions of dollars on developing a pen that would write in zero gravity so there Astronauts could take notes in space................the Russian Cosmonauts used a PENCIL!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X