Pectin question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
    Looks like the lemon has worked, I think part the problem could be is that I have started using a jelly net so I may not be cooking the fruit for long enough to release the little bit of pectin it has although I am adding apples to the cooking for their pectin, any way I went mad and bought myself a preserving pan which I will be able to cook the fruit for longer without worrying about the pan boiling over.
    Can anyone tell me the differance between jam sugar and preserving sugar?
    I think jam sugar has quite a lot of pectin - useful for strawbs etc, whereas preserving sugar ghas less - it's recommended for plums and such. I think plums aren't bad for pectin myself.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      ............................ I think plums aren't bad for pectin myself.
      My plum jam set like a brick without adding anything!!!!!!!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It's a fine art to get plum jam to set just right.

Comment

Paul i add the pectin powder to the sugar and mix it well, makes it the same as Jam sugar

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            My plum jam set like a brick without adding anything!!!!!!!!
            Don't say I didn't warn you!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Preserving sugar is simply easier to dissolve than ordinary Granulated (old-fashioned granulated wasn't as pure, but that changed ages ago).
              Jam sugar is preserving sugar with added pectin. Like some others, I have never bothered, because everything I have ever wanted to make jam from worked fine without (OK a few things needed pectin-rich additions in the early stages, usually liquid extracted from apple peel-and-core, or currants or gooseberries).
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X