Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax disks query

This is a complete novice question

I made rhubarb and ginger jam at the weekend and when bottling up, thought I'd use the nice wax disks I'd bought for my jars. The jars have plastic on the underside of the lid, so I believe I don't strictly need the disks, but thought it would be nice.

But .... is it shiny (smooth) side up or down?

Thanks

Caro
    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

I think that I'm right in saying it's the waxy (smooth) side down, Caro.

Jam sounds lovely!

Comment

I put mine wax side down as well

Comment

Defo wax side down.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

For wax discs, shiny side down.
          For plants, green side up!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks everyone

I've now run out of garden produce but maybe I'll go check hedgerows for blackberries at the weekend for my next batch, and I'll use the wax disks with confidence!
            Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy waxed discs without having to have the cellophane covers, rubber bands and mingy little labels as well?

Comment

Lakeland sell them in just packs of 1lb jar or 2lb jar size. That's what I use.

Comment

Thanks Flum - you're a mine of information!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Lakeland sell them in just packs of 1lb jar or 2lb jar size. That's what I use.
                    Have just gone onto the Lakeland website and ordered 200 waxed circles for 2.39. They wanted (((((((4.25))))))) to post them!!!!! I call that daylight robbery!

AND it wasn't because I live in the north of Scotland because I had not given my address before the extortionate postage came up!
                    Last edited by annacruachan; 25-08-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

PM me your address. I'm going into Beverley next week - I'll get you a packet and the postage will be NO WHERE NEAR £4.25!

Comment

I'm pretty sure Lakeland have a 'one price' delivery fee. Not so good if you're ordering wax disks, but ok if you're after a jam pan. I live pretty near a store and need NO excuse whatsoever to visit I'd be happy to pick some up for you and post them at actual cost
                        I was feeling part of the scenery
                        I walked right out of the machinery
                        My heart going boom boom boom
                        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                        I've come to take you home."

Comment

There you are - 2 offers within seconds!

Comment

Think I'm in Chester at the weekend too so will be popping in also (can't resist the place, even if it's a bit pricy in general) but think you've probably already got enough offers! If you do a big order (over £40 or something like that) you get free postage off them so I tend to only order online if I want a lot (or share an order with friends).

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thank you all. What great people there are on this forum.
                              I only posted for a rant so didn't look at the thread again until this morning; then there was all that mayhem with Olivier, so apologies for not thanking you all sooner.
                              Last edited by annacruachan; 28-08-2009, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X