No announcement yet.

Brown pickled cauli?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't rinse them last year and they turned out really salty. Maybe I dind't add enough sugar... just goes to show it's not an exact science! Tril and error and make a note of what works and what doesn't for next year

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
      *jumps to attention

seriously tho, thanks Hilary
      Has Hilary had a sex change?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

*jumps to attention

seriously tho, thanks Hilary
        It wasn't meant as a quiz, just a list of potential causes of problem!
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

noooo sorry, I was just being silly (as usual) - your help is much appreciated
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

I have only ever pickled shallots, not cauliflower or beetroot, and always used my mum's method. Peel your shallots and pack into jar. Cover with malt vinegar and seal. No salting, no pickling vinegar, and they come out crisp and brown and lovely. Got some in the cupboard from 2 years ago and they are still great. Mmmm - perhaps I'll just...............!

Comment

This from The Best of Mrs Beeton's Jams, Pickles & Preserves:
              ...Dark vinegars discolour he vegetables or fruit...

As I used Sarsons Pickling Vinegar which was the dark one - I'd say we have the answer
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

As I used Sarsons Pickling Vinegar which was the dark one - I'd say we have the answer
                I use the clear vinegar and things still discolour..........
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

d'oh Snadger! that's that then back to the books
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

It may well be the reason for a colour change, but if the stuff goes soft as well, there is some other factor involved.....

I only ever use the dark, pre-spiced vinegar for 'ordinary' pickling (usually of onions/shallots), so I am used to the colour effect.

I would use a white pickling vinegar for cauli, if I could get one pre-spiced. I've never seen it around here....
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Sarsons do Pickling Vinegar in both Brown and White, but round here only Morrisons stock both types.

Comment

I usually use the clear Sarsons pickling vinegar, but I wait until it's 'Buy one.....get one free' in Tesco's!

I've just finished last years pickled carrot,shallot and Jalapeno's and they were only slightly discoloured but still crunchy and tasty!

This year I intend pickling my purple jalapenos, as much for good looks in the jar as anything........the green and red jallies kept there colour well so hope it's the same for the purple jobbies!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          .... for the purple jobbies!
                          been eating too much beetroot have you Snadger - oh I see, sorry
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X