No announcement yet.

Any tips on making jam????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always use the same weight of sugar as fruit. eg. 2lb strawbs, so 2lb sugar also if you add a small knob of butter after the setting point is reached it helps to clarify your jam making it look a lot brighter once you have put it into the jars.

Comment

Originally posted by doodardog View Post
      I always use the same weight of sugar as fruit. eg. 2lb strawbs, so 2lb sugar also if you add a small knob of butter after the setting point is reached it helps to clarify your jam making it look a lot brighter once you have put it into the jars.
      is that basically it? strawbs and sugar?? thought it would be much harder than that

Comment

Originally posted by ckfe View Post
        is that basically it? strawbs and sugar?? thought it would be much harder than that
        Some fruit (strawberries are an example) needs a bit extra pactin (jam sugar has it already added). The traditional source of pectin for strawberry jam was gooseberies, I used redcurrants if I could get them (I don't like 'additives').
        Boil a few oz of high-pectin fruit until about to fall apart, Strain and add the liquid to your strawberries.....
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

If you wanted to be fancy you could make cheese....I am going to give it a go this year.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            Some fruit (strawberries are an example) needs a bit extra pactin (jam sugar has it already added). The traditional source of pectin for strawberry jam was gooseberies, I used redcurrants if I could get them (I don't like 'additives').
            Boil a few oz of high-pectin fruit until about to fall apart, Strain and add the liquid to your strawberries.....
            I used blackcurrants but the same effect. Great pectin so the jam sets.
            Yes Cfke, it really is that simple, fruit and suger, plus a little pectin (currants, lemon...) to make it set.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

for one jam jar - i use 400g fruit [straws mainly but will move onto rasps when they become ripe], 400g sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Squish the fruit with a masher, add the sugar and LJ and start heating - slowly at first until the sugar melts. Keep upping the heat until you reach a rolling boil then use the saucer in the freezer trick to catch the setting point; then put into the sterilised bottles. Keep stirring throughout the heating process so it doesn't catch on the pan, and use a wooden spoon.

Last batch last week took about an hour from start to finish, including the washing up.

Making fresh bread to have with it is just an added bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                I used blackcurrants but the same effect. Great pectin so the jam sets.
                Yes Cfke, it really is that simple, fruit and suger, plus a little pectin (currants, lemon...) to make it set.
                Ah, so thats why my blackcurrant jam set so well!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry to jump in here, can I use different types of blackcurrants in the same jam? Thanks.

Comment

I made a mixed fruit jam last year squizz, and used black, red and white currants as well as a few other fruits. No reason why not that I can see.
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                        The Patten book is good, but I would also recommend HFW's raspberry jam.
                        I have just made a batch of his Strawberry Jam, it ended up being 3 and a half jars...?!?! Will the half jar be ok..?? Or should I have binned it..??
                        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Eat the half jar first as it's got more air in the top it won't keep as long but still be lovely.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Cheers Alison, thought that was a the best thing to do. Just need it to cool down from Molten Larva now.
                            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Wot Alison said. HFW's jam is sooo scrummy.
                              Bob Leponge

Comment

HFW's River Cottage Summer programme tonight was about strawberries, and he made two types of strawberry jam. One with gooseberries, and the other with sweet geranium leaves.

If you missed the programme it is being repeated tomorrow at 9.00 p.m. on More4.

valmarg
                                Last edited by valmarg; 24-06-2009, 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X