• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic Jam Recipies

I normally make Jam.

10lb of Damsens
    10lb of Jam

Then Boil..

Now I am diabetic I need to cut down on the sugar.....and ideas of reduced sugar jam recipies?

I could use canderell but it would cost fortunes.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Are you IDD or have you got maturity onset controlled by diet and/or tablets?
    Last edited by HotStuff; 15-05-2009, 03:57 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I am type 2 ....currently controlled by diet....and I want to keep off the tablets for as long as I can
      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Good for you, hope it works. I was diagnosed back in 1990 and am IDD, 4 injections a day, not as bad as it sounds once you get used to it The recommended diet for diabetics these days is just a normal healthy diet, but you probably know that Perversly, I can understand if you're controlled by diet alone that you would be a bit more careful about your sugar intake. The occasional treat is OK, it's what you do most days that matters. Sorry but I don't have any jam recipes.
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
            Thanks....
            No recipes, and no direct experience of diabetic stuff, but I BUY a jam-like spread which is made with concentrated fruitjuice instead of sugar (because I like sugar-free fruity things). Would a home-made version of that be any use?
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I wonder if your best option would be to use commercial pectin which you can buy in most supermarkets and just use the amount of sugar you need for taste. You would have to make it in small quantities though and keep it in the fridge as sugar is the preservative. Maybe freeze the fruit and use it a little at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackkitty View Post
                I wonder if your best option would be to use commercial pectin which you can buy in most supermarkets and just use the amount of sugar you need for taste. You would have to make it in small quantities though and keep it in the fridge as sugar is the preservative. Maybe freeze the fruit and use it a little at a time.
                I think you would need to boil down to the setting point anyway, with less sugar that would simply mean getting less (and fruitier) jam from the same fruit.

Comment

Yes you would need to boil it until it reached setting point, a little experimentation would be needed to get quantities correct but the jam would go mouldy on top fairly quickly if there is not enough sugar to 'tie up' the available moisture as that's what preserves jam.

Comment

My OH is also type 2 diabetic and it is a nightmare trying to keep away from things that dont have much sugar, we have to read everything we buy even fruit is high in natural sugars it also doesnt help that he is vegetarian. He has to take tablets.
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by blackkitty View Post
                      Yes you would need to boil it until it reached setting point, a little experimentation would be needed to get quantities correct but the jam would go mouldy on top fairly quickly if there is not enough sugar to 'tie up' the available moisture as that's what preserves jam.

The total quantity of sugar would be much the same once setting point was reached, the only real difference is that more of it would be coming from the sugar in the fruit, and less from the added sucrose.

Comment

I think I am going to have to spread it thinner on the toast.

We get so much fruit that we have to Jam it cos all three freezers quickly fill up.

Comment

Here is a recipe for diabetic jam - Sugarless Jam Recipe : Recipezaar

Comment

Here's another -http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2562/orchard-spread.aspx - if you copy and paste, it will take you there.
                            Last edited by Tam; 21-05-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks I wll have a look.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X