No announcement yet.

Herb Oils and Vinegars

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read a thread or article somewhere about food poisoning and it was enough to discourage me from making any long term bottles of herb oil. I did make a couple of week long ones that I kept in the fridge and tried to use up within that amount of time, they were lovely but a bit of work for such a short time and a waste of oil/herbs when I didn't use it all up within a week.

Comment

Hiya SR
      I make my own flavoured oils - based, loosely, on Nigellas ideas. I always sterilise my bottles just like I would doing chutneys etc.
      The ones Ive made so far are, garlic, chilli - and surprise, surprise, garlic & chilli oil! Ive got a 3 litre bottle of garlic and chilli and started a 3 litre bottle of rosemary oil yesterday. I tend to let them stew for 3 to 4 weeks before straining and decanting into bottles. The best place for bottles Ive found is colorlites on ebay - just type in their name and have a look at the ones they sell. Superfast service and good prices too.
      Good luck - do let us know how you get on.
      Bernie
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

A vinegar I've loved is Raspberry - I think it would work with other fruits as well, and I believe (from reading, not personal experience) that the botulism problem doesn't exist with vinegars......but you'd need to check that !
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X