No announcement yet.

dehydrators

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to get some practice in with mine as its still in the box.

SS how do you do your courgette chips and how do you use them?

Comment

Hi piglet

Cut courgettes into about 7mm slices, whichever way you like best (you'll know whether to go thicker or thinner once you've done a batch)
      Spread out and dehydrate til they as thick as crisps, and snap when bent
      Sprinkle with sea salt and serve

For chomping or dipping - wherever you'd use crisps!
      Last edited by supersprout; 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM.
      SSx
      not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Hi all
        Dehydrator going strong. Dont buy trail mix or any of that stuff anymore. The poor thing gets about one day in 10 off.

Got to try lots of other stuff this year.

Good to see so many other people using them. Like the idea of the courgette crisps for dips.

Dont leave it in hthe box pigletwillie put it to work :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 25cowlane View Post
          Having read this thread the other week, I ordered the tchibo one and have been really impressed. So far I've done banana chips, apple rings and kiwi chips all with great success. The machine is a lot quieter than I thought it would be so a winner all round.

Now I just need to have a go at jerky and I will be a happy man!
          I bought one from Tchibo a couple of years ago, and am really pleased with it. I did loads of plums and apples the first year I had it, and they worked out really well. But since then it hasn't had a lot of use.... why? My sister borrowed it last summer to dry flower petals for her wedding confetti - I haven't seen it since, but there was plenty of confetti at the church so it must have worked!!
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

The Tchibo one looks great value and has sold out. There are loads on Amazon.com starting at about US$25.00.

I think this is going to be a must this year so I'll keep looking. Funds are a bit tight so £80+ for me is a bit steep.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

i;m going to have a go at the solar one. "be a creator not a Consumer" ;-)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

hi all
                just made my own celery salt by drying loads of celery and adding salt to it so that its quite strong and now have that to add to all my home cooking. Only reason i tried this is because i couldnt find celery salt anywhere. Just done a load of toms covered in dried basil which will then be put into a jar and covered with olive oil. Got a load of apples on the go and they are sprinkled with lots of ground cinnamon. Waiting with baited breath for this one.

Trouble is the uver alf keeps nicking it as soon as its done!!!!!

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by annie trip View Post
                  Has anyone tried drying fruit etc in the coolest oven on an aga? I think that gets below 100c???
                  Hello annie, did you find out/test out dehydrating in the Aga bottom oven? I'm due to be reunited with my Aga in a few months, and if it works for deydrating I won't buy a separate gadget. Thank you :-) decidedly healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Decidedly Healthy View Post
                    Hello annie, did you find out/test out dehydrating in the Aga bottom oven? I'm due to be reunited with my Aga in a few months, and if it works for deydrating I won't buy a separate gadget. Thank you :-) decidedly healthy.
                    Welcome to the vine decidedly healthy
                    Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

My new oven has pre-settings for various special things and has two settings at under 100 degrees, 40 and 70 degrees - could I use either of those settings to dehydrate stuff from the garden?

And do you leave the stones in cherries when you dry them?
                      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Hi Tony
                        Never done cherry's but the books i have reccomend that they are stoned first.... Dont know if that means you get them high on some sort of weed or what :-)

As for the conventional oven I think that there is a problem with the higher humidity. Not sure but i think there is something about it here.

Martin
                        Last edited by number 1 suspect; 07-05-2007, 10:08 AM.

Comment

My brother made a solar fruit and veg dryer a good few years ago.It didnt seem to consist of much(he also made a solar cooker that worked very well and was made of cardboard boxes and a sheet of glass as I remember)
                          I will get details and post them.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                            My new oven has pre-settings for various special things and has two settings at under 100 degrees, 40 and 70 degrees - could I use either of those settings to dehydrate stuff from the garden?

And do you leave the stones in cherries when you dry them?
                            From what I remember from the book I have I'd try 70 degrees Tony.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X