Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine pressings

Morning all,

Finally got around to pressing this seasons grapes and have 2 litres of juice from 5 litres of grapes.

The juice is stored in a 2 litre bottle at the moment and I can see sediment and some debris floating to the surface.

Question - should I filter the debris out? It is all very fine and passed through the fine mesh of the bag, part of me says it will make it taste better and part of me thinks it will make it taste worse. Which one is right?

Attached Files

Comment

It was a 6 litre capacity press which I pressed with whole grapes. This was pretty unsuccessful so I switched to breaking up the grapes (blade) then pressing.

Comment

Sorry, Eoghan, I know nothing about pressing grapes so can't give you any advice. But it looks like a fascinating project. Good luck.

Comment

Another one here who knows nothing about grape pressing.
          A question though…..are you intending on drinking the juice as it is ? I’ve just made apple juice for the first time and the liquid was heated at 80C for around 15 minutes to help preserve it.
          I’m thinking that your juice might start to go ‘off’ maybe if you don’t do something with it soon. You don’t mention that you’ve heated it.

There are quite a few interesting articles on goooogle - here’s one I spotted…
          https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...g_grape_juice/
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

This will become wine God willing

Comment

Ah well in that case I wouldn’t think you’d need to filter it again - the bits will settle whilst fermenting surely?
              I used to make country wines years ago but I know that’s not the same as grape wine- hopefully a winemaker can advise you very soon!
              My guess would be just to crack on with adding the yeast….the floating sediment will probably add more flavour to the wine?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The only thing I know about wine making is that when you make red wine the skins and pulp are left in for a while, so I'd say your juice is good to go as it is.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X