• Show
Clear All

• Rosehip and crab apple jelly

Click image for larger version

Name:	rosehip jelly.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	2552261Rosehip & Crab Apple Jelly

Quantities - 750g sugar to every litre of juice (1lb sugar to every pint of juice)

At least half the fruit should be apples. For making jelly it's the juice you want, so giving exact weights of fruit is unnecessary, use what you have. Crab apples or sour apples give better flavour than eaters or cookers.

Wash and roughly chop the fruit, put in a pan with enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then simmer until the fruit is pulpy and soft. I give it a mash every now and then with a potato masher to help break up the hips. You may need to add more water if it begins to be too thick.

Tip the mixture into a muslin cloth and leave to drip for about 2 hours (when it stops dripping, it's done, leaving it any longer won't get you any more juice, in spite of any "leave to drip overnight" advice).

As I was using hips, I re-strained the juice through a double layer of muslin to be sure none of the hairs had dripped through.

Put the juice in a clean pan with 1lb sugar to each 1pt juice (or 750g sugar per litre), heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly to setting point - 106C, and pour into warm jars.

Freezing the hips overnight before using them helps soften them, I'm told. I actually cooked the apples and hips separately as the hips were very hard, a bit under-ripe, and I knew they would take a lot longer and a lot more water to cook to a mush. Then I combined with the cooked apples in the muslin cloth.

Variants - use haws or rowan berries instead of hips.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Fantastic MH - thanks for sharing
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Because the hips took a long time to cook down I didn't have as much juice as I wanted, so I dumped the whole mass out of the muslin back into a clean pan, added water to cover, and simmered again for 10 minutes, then strained as per, and added to the first lot of juice. It has still set well
      Endless wonder.

Comment

I used to make a nice rowan and apple jelly. It was slightly astringent and very good for meat or cheese. Haven't made it in a few years, though.

Comment

What sort of hips are ok to use?
          Northern England.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, you can use any rose hips. I use the wild dog rose hips 'cos that's what grows near me, I have climbing roses but always dead head them to keep them flowering. I was told that the old fashioned shrub roses and the rugosas are very good. I would imagine that because they are invariably sweetly and strongly scented, their hips have more flavour too.
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks, we have wild in our hedgerows but I have rugosa in the garden which produce lots of hips (which currently the birds eat).
              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X