Have I left it too late?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I left it too late?

Have i left it too late to get pickled onions/beetroot done in time for christmas?
    I'm still relatively new to all this and am relying on the local greengrocers for produce to pickle/preserve for christmas gifts.
    So my questions are:

!) I'm looking at onions, beetroot and a couple of chutneys and relishes to make and split out for Christmas gifts. Is this too late? Various old/new recipes say leave 2 months min/1 month/3 months/6 weeks. I'm all in a pickle if you excuse the pun

2) All the recipes say to sterilise the jars, which i'm fine with. Have ordered some new ones with vinegar-proof lids. These will be washed and heated through in the oven whilst i'm creating goodness knows what but then i read various boards/posts regarding sealing preserves in a water bath to keep them for longer. So do i need to do this with relishes/chutneys? How long will they keep for with/without the water bath method? I'm sure it will depend on the recipe but I don't know which to follow!

Also, as they're going to the in-laws i need to make sure i don't poison anyone!!!

Thanks for any advice for a newbie. Am determined to grow more and learn more next year.

Go for it!!The times you're reccomended to leave them is for the flavours to intensify.In my opinion only leaving them for 2 months instead of 3 may have a slight effect on flavour,but what's worse:slightly less matured chutney or no chutney??!!
    I've never done a water bath to seal,just use sterile jars.Some preserves will last for a year,others maybe just a couple of months,it really depends on the recipe,but I think a general rule of thumb is that chutneys last longer than relishes.
    I'm sure you'll find lots of recipes on here or in preserving books & each recipe should give you an idea as to how long it will keep.(& how to jar up)
    Finally~Great Luck to you!!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Go for it, pickled onions will deffo have time to mature. I did my first ever pickled onions on 3 October - we had a taste on 15th and nearly blew our brains out! Now worried if they will get too pickly if that is possible.

Like you I am relying on the greengrocer for the produce as I had a rubbish growing year. I am going to try beetroot today if I get a chance.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Do it. Like Shirl, last time I did pickled onions and eggs, they only had a couple of weeks in the jar before I had a quick taster. Lovely!!
        I have never done the water bath method, maybe going to try next year, but I opened a plum chutney from last October when I was at home last, and it was gorgeous.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I don't think you need to use a water bath for chutney (I never have) as you pour hot chutney into hot, sterilized jars plus there's loads of vinegar and sugar in the mix to preserve. Even less need with pickles as it's more or less pure vinegar you pop them in.

Plenty of time to still make them, when I make a batch I always keep a pot to eat straight away and it's still good even tho it hasn't been left.

Comment

You've still got plenty of time. I haven't even started my Christmas Present chutneys yet, but will have to do so in a week or so!

Comment

Thanks all for your advice.

It gets a bit confusing to start off with all the recipes available.
              Water baths, wax disks, vinegar proof lids......
              I've noticed that a lot of them don't tell you how long it should keep for other than 'store in a cool dark place'
              I made some lovely strawberry jam and put it in the red top style kilners with waxed discs only to find some lovely grey-blue fur on the top of the discs. grrrr! think the rubber seals may have been a bit dodgy , if at first you don't succeed...
              I've just got the mammoth challenge now of deciding what to make.
              I have a feeling i'm going to have a very busy weekend!

Comment

If jam develops mould on the waxed disc, it usually means you did something wrong at the sealing up stage. You can seal jam when it is REALLY hot, or when it is cold, but NEVER at any temperature in between! (I prefer hot, because it sterlises everything, but it must be 'off heat, into hot jars, lids secured' as fast as you can do it, and there is a slight risk of something breaking with the heat. Never happened to me, but I have heard of it).
                Things made by heating, much the same applies (chutneys etc). Pickled 'things' (onions cauli, etc) do NOT require heating, although the jars should be heat sterilised, and kept covered until you are about to put the stuff in. The vinegar should deal with anything else....
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Take the mould off the top of the jam and it will be fine to eat.

Comment

Wish id've done that with the Jam

Just to say thanks very much for your help all.
                    9 jars mincemeat done
                    6 jars pickled beetroot done
                    pickled onions brining now
                    mango chutney and tomato chutney tomorrow.

It's really powerful stuff that vinegar. I've got a chest infection and haven't been able to smell anything at all for a week. BLIMEY! I was nearly knocked backwards when I walked back ito the kitchen

Sure i'll be on again for another daft set of questions in the future, but it's the only way i'll learn!

Night all

HPL

Comment

Still loads of time to pickle or preserve or make chutneys. I know most recipes will say store for 3 months - yeah right - not in my house ! I have just made a load of herb jellies (cheers Merry ), Apple & Chilli Jelly (Cheers again Merry ) and Sweet Chutney, and have about 40 jars of pickled onions to do this weekend. Then it's more assorted chutneys, jams, marmalade and picallili - all ready for Chrimbo.
                      Most will be fine after a month - they do improve with age but mine are eiher sold or eaten well before they are three months old.
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Buying my onions now to pickle not done them for a long time already got lots of courgette chutney and relish due to a bumper crop, I also did some blackberry and apple chutney, pickled red cabbage and beetroot. Usually buy all of this so saving some money.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X