Preserving pans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving pans

Hi you lot - sorry if this seems a daft question, but I'm seriously considering investing in a good preserving pan. Do you think this a good investment (£40 or so, for a PAN) or would you use your 'normal' saucepans? I need to justify spending the money .... (I could buy a lot of chutney and jam for £40, but equally dont want to ruin my cooking pans)... take about indecisive!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

I was in two minds myself, but went ahead and bought one. Its so much easier, you can make bigger batches, it doesn't boil over and the water evaporates quicker. Deffo worth the money if you make a fair bit of jam and chutney

Comment

hi
      i just use a large copper bottomed pan. it holds enough to make about 9lb jam a time and only cost £25 from asda the only drawback is that it hasn't got sloping sides
      xxxmillyxxx
      The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul.

- Alfred Austin

Comment

I bought a preserving pan from Lakeland Limited(Click Here), and have used it 3 years in a row and find it great... I'd rather use this than my normal pan, as I don't have a pan big enough!

Comment

Thanks guys - I guess I will get one after all. The point about having a large enough pan is a good one as well, I'm not sure my normal pans would do really. Thanks again ... and happy pickling!
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

If you have a local asian shop go in there. Thats where i got my pan they go from normal to bl**dy huge and all at good prices :-)

Comment

I wouldn't be without my Stellar maslin pan, moggie - it was a birthday pressie last year, and my sister managed to find a site online selling astronomically expensive Stellar pans for half price. I'll ask her for the site addy if you want?
              Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 15-09-2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

We use the pan from our stainless steel steamer, seems okay to me - but of course I'd like a 'proper' preserving pan.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I inherited a really ancient solid brass preserving pan from my gran and it's marvellous... Massive capacity and fab results.
                  so yes, in preference to a normal pan (though I did used to use the base of my pressure cooker when I didn't have a preserving pan

Comment

I have a massive (regular enamel) pan that's brought out for stews as well as preserving - it's worth getting one that can go in the oven and with a lid as then it's multi purpose

Comment

Have you looked on eBay there's some Preserving (Maslin) pans for a lot less than £40.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

i got mine in the sales last year and it been worth every penny, & we use it for chillis/curries/etc when we have family gatherings
                        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
                          I inherited a really ancient solid brass preserving pan from my gran and it's marvellous... Massive capacity and fab results.
                          so yes, in preference to a normal pan (though I did used to use the base of my pressure cooker when I didn't have a preserving pan
                          Sounds like the one I have, think it was originally my great nan's who handed it down to my nan, then my mum and now it's mine. Didn't realise how much easier it would be - the very thick base spreads the heat really well and makes it (almost!) imposible to burn anything.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hazel - yes please if you dont mind! Meanwhile, I'm off to check out ebay, great idea thank you.

Alison - I'm glad you said only almost impossible to burn ... this is me! (Remember last year I set myself on fire leaning over the hob?!).

Comment

I used our massive Tefal stew pot thing (which was a wedding present) to make Damson Jam and chutney in last year, but it wasn't ideal and I keep thinking about getting a proper one myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X