Pickled Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    I don't bother sterilising jars for pickling Just put them through the dishwasher, then pack with brined onions, and pour over cold vinegar. Never had any mould issues, not dead yet either Been pickling onions for about 18 years!
    actually, i was thinking of doing this next time, i mean the dishwasher gets them lovely and sparkling, plus, they get pretty hot in there, at least as hot as a low oven.
    Last edited by BrideXIII; 04-10-2008, 11:59 AM.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by guinness View Post
      .....................................any of my jars! They were thoroughly washed before and because where I live (Pyrenees France) its impossible to get pickling or malt vinegar so i use a mixture of red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar and some other "bits & pieces" so hopefully that lot will kill any lurking germs. I also forgot to drain the onions after soaking in brine - doh!

Any how - i'm sure they will taste - interesting!
      I bought a bottle of 'vinaigre d'alcool' it's brown (ish) and I thought I would chuck in some balsamic vinegar too. What other 'bits and pieces' did you add?
      For a nation of gourmands it is bl**dy difficult to get hold of spices here!!
      Tx

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
        I bought a bottle of 'vinaigre d'alcool' it's brown (ish) and I thought I would chuck in some balsamic vinegar too. What other 'bits and pieces' did you add?
        For a nation of gourmands it is bl**dy difficult to get hold of spices here!!
        wow, you would think with the reputation the french have for cooking, you would be able to get anything and everything there?

In mine, cos I couldn't get pre-spiced vinegar, I put peppercorns, cloves, star anise, coriander seed, mustard seeds, dried juniper berry and a chilli.
        I put these in the bottom of the jar, rather than heat in the vinegar, which means I have to leave at least 12 weeks before opening, which is fine cos they are for xmas.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Cool Bride thanks, I think I may have all of those lying around in the dust somewhere!

Perhaps it is because I live in La France Profond, but if it doesn't taste of fat or innards, the locals just won't eat it! They don't like foreign food around here (although I did spot a jar of sandwich spread in the foreign food section of my local supermarket.....)
          Tx

Comment

Cool Bride thanks, I think I may have all of those lying around in the dust somewhere!

Perhaps it is because I live in La France Profond, but if it doesn't taste of fat or innards, the locals just won't eat it! They don't like foreign food around here (although I did spot a jar of sandwich spread in the foreign food section of my local supermarket.....)
            hmm pickled onions spiced with sandwich spread...........original

ooh and I just remembered, I think I put in a bit of cinnamon stick as well.
            Last edited by BrideXIII; 04-10-2008, 02:12 PM.
            Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
              hmm pickled onions spiced with sandwich spread...........original
              No Bride, GROSS
              Tx

Comment

No Bride, GROSS
                I bow to your superior taste buds and acknowledge my mistake